Product Review: The Neti Pot
Feeling under the weather or dealing with a non-stop runny nose? This is the season for bothersome colds, flu, and allergies. How about trying an alternative method for dealing with this cold and flu season?
The Neti Pot is a sinus irrigation system that is highly recommended by doctors, acupuncturists and nathropathic physicians. The Neti Pot has been used in the ayurvedic and yoga community for many years. This small and strange pot is an inexpensive and effective tool for clearing the nasal passages, and alleviating many common sinus and allergy problems.
Over 35 years ago the Himalayan Institute introduced the Neti Pot as a sinus cleansing system. The Neti Post is a small ceramic tea pot shaped tool, filled with warm salt water to rinse the sinuses and quickly clean the nasal passages. We tested the Neti Pot for over six months of regular use. While at first it may seem like a strange practice, using the Neti Pot can be as easy as brushing your teeth. Simply following the instructions and a bit of practice, and you will become more and more comfortable with the Neti Pot.
The ceramic style Neti Pot is very easy to clean and maintain without any wear and tear. However, traveling with the Neti Pot can present an issue, as it could break during travel. We were able to find a plastic version of the ceramic pot, but we would not recommend it for daily use. To get started with this practice the Himalayan Institute offers a Neti Pot starter kit which includes one Neti Pot, 8 oz of salt, and a Neti Wash Plus Daily Boost.
- Dry nasal passages
- Nasal congestion
- Sinus headaches
- Runny nose
- Sinusitis and Rhinitis
- Cold and flu
- Removing dust, pollen, and environmental allergens
- Removing sticky mucus naturally
Directions for Easy Neti Pot Use:
- Start by filling the pot with warm water and desired amount of salt.
- Mix water and salt until completely dissolved
- Lean over the sink with your head bent down so you are looking directly into the basin.
- Holding the Neti Pot in your right hand, gently insert the tip into your right nostril so that it forms a seal.
- Keep you mouth open the entire time, and breathe through your mouth.
- Rotate your head so that the right nostril is directly above the left.
- Begin to allow the pot to gently enter the right nostril as the water comes out the left nostril.
- Gently blow you nose. Be careful not to blow to hard. You can gently blow each nostril separately by pressing a finger over one nostril.
- Repeat on the other side.
- Blow your nose as needed to feel the effects of the cleanse.
- Thoroughly clean and disinfect the Neti Pot after each use.