Comfort Fuel: Nourishing Bison and Vegetable Stew
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 90 minutes
- 2 ½ lbs grass-fed bison stew meat
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 2 cups sweet potatoes
- 2 quarts beef stock
- 2 teaspon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 whole cinnamon sticks
- ½ cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1 teaspoon pink himalayan salt and coarse ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- Melt oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions to the pot along with 1/2 teaspoon sea salt. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the thyme.
- Slowly whisk in the stock and then scrape the bottom of the pot to release any browned bits.
- Add the meat and veggies and bring to a simmer.
- Add cinnamon sticks and balsamic vinegar.
- Cover the pot and cook on low simmer for another 1½ hours.
- Remove cinnamon sticks. Season with salt and pepper to taste before serving.
More comfort food for cold weather:
Topic: Healthy Eating