Proper Progression and Loading for the Single Leg Deadlift
- Feet together, as if in a squat
- Standing on one foot, as if running
- Split stance, as if in a lunge
- No load and pattern assistance
- No load, with no pattern assistance
- Load, and pattern assistance
- Load, and no pattern assistance
- Perform the SLDL with no load and a dowel to maintain alignment as your pattern assistance.
- Perform the SLDL with no dowel once the pattern has been ingrained.
- Perform the SLDL with load, but using pattern assistance. This step can be a little tricky if you’re training solo, but we can achieve pattern assistance by doing some reactive neuromuscular training (RNT) work on the down leg by having a band attached at the inside of the knee. The band will run across the body, feeding the valgus collapse many have.
- Finally, once the pattern is mastered we’re ready for SLDLs with no pattern assistance and additional load.
Next, here are demonstrations of variou loading options. Note: make sure to extend the back leg hard. Remember that you're trying to achieve both flexion and extension on each rep - don't be lazy with the back leg
And finally a rep done with max load: