Sunday Seven: The Week's 7 Most Popular Articles, Vol. 34
Every Sunday we post the "Sunday Seven" so you can quickly see the 7 most popular articles of the week. This week's hot topics: pull-ups, gluten, grappling, the kettlebell snatch, and more!
People ask me a lot about how to get their first pull-up, or how to improve the number of pull-ups they can do. Here are some things that helped me go from zero pull-ups to a 20kg weight pull-up.
2. The Vital Role of the Kiai, Grunt, and Otherwise Noisy Exhale (Eric C. Stevens)
Grunting might get you kicked out of Planet Fitness, but all athletics come with their version of a forceful, audible exhale. This exhale serves a purpose and your performance will lack without it.
3. Camp For Grown-Ups: How Grappling Camp Helps Female Athletes (Valerie Worthington)
Along with other amazing female black belts I run the Women's Grappling Camp. It's about bringing jiu jitsu to women, bringing women together, and all of creating something much bigger than ourselves.
4. Alpha-Male Style Cardio Training (Mike Samuels)
Want to work on your cardio, but can't bear the thought of getting on an elliptical machine in public? Here are three ways to get cardio and still look cool. Well, sweaty and crushed, but cool.
5. Gluten Gone Wild: What Is It and What Is It Doing to Our Guts? (Peter Curcio)
You've heard gluten is bad, but do you know what it is exactly and why it's bad? Do you know why you shouldn't eat it, even if it doesn't feel different when you don't eat it? Read on for the answers.
6. How To Do the Perfect Kettlebell Snatch (Andrew Read)
Here we are at the end of my series - the final of the six basic kettlebell exercises. The snatch. The snatch is one of those exercises that seem shrouded in myth, but it's actually quite simple.
7. The Wabi-Sabi Of An Athlete: The Power of Imperfection (Becca Borawski)
In Japanese culture there is a concept known as wabi-sabi. It is the appreciation of imperfection. How can the appreciation of imperfection make you a better athlete? Imperfection can empower you.