Strength & Conditioning - Kevin Kearns, Workout 7: Sick Circuit Training
Kevin Kearns knows what it means to train like a fighter - he has trained UFC fighters like Kenny Florian, Stephan Bonnar, and Marcus Davis for a living for many years. Now you can get a chance at these hardcore workouts, that also happen to be a lot of fun.
To learn more about Kevin, read our feature interview:
Workout 7: "Sick Circuit Training"
The best part about this type of conditioning workout is you will not need a bunch a fancy equipment to get the job done. This whole workout can be done with a pair of dumbbells, medicine ball, agility ladder, and resistance bands. The other great part about this is whether you are 8 or 88 you can set up a circuit for anyone and do it anywhere. It does not matter if you are inside or outside, it all works fine.
The big key here is the fast pace. Whether you are a weekend warrior or highly conditioned athlete this will help you improve power, cardio, and fat loss. The calorie burn is also off the charts. We have had seasoned fighters burn 475 calories in 17 minutes. Try that on a treadmill.
Here you go. We are going to go for time and rounds.
Round 1: 30 seconds each
Round 2: 45 seconds each
Round 3: 1 minute each
1. Agility ladder hopscotch drill – Start with two feet outside the ladder. As you jump forward bring your feet inside the next ladder box in front of you. This is a great drill for explosive power for kicks and knees.
2. Ground and pound with sledge hammers - Take 2 light sledgehammers. Stand in a stance as you would over and opponent and alternate the arms as you throw punches to the ground. Your entire core is at work here.
3. Band rows – Grab a resistance band and stand in a fight stance. Bring your elbows back to your sides as you pull the band back. Keep your chest up right as you pull the band back.
4. Sprawls with a Bosu - Grab a Bosu and stand in a fight stance. Then drop down into a sprawl with the Bosu in your hands. This is a real killer your upper body and wind and is a good way to rehearse that motion for combat.
5. Bosu power jumps - Place on Bosu on the floor in front of you. Stand on the floor near the edge of the Bosu. With one quick jump land on the Bosu and then step down right away. Your legs will be talking to you in no time.
6. Upper cuts with dumbbells - Grab a pair of dumbbells and stand in a fight stance. Keep your hands up and rotate your feet as you punch up with an upper cut motion. Your abs will love you for it.
7. Bodyblade Turkish get ups - Grab a blade and lie on the floor. Get the blade moving as you try to get off the floor with just the use of one arm while keeping the blade moving.
8. Medicine ball slams - Grab a medicine ball and kneel down on the floor. Pick the ball up and slam on the floor, catch and repeat. This is a good way to decrease stress in your life.