Strongman: Cycle 4, Week 3, Day 3
Welcome to the fourth cycle of Strongman workouts. Before we get started, let me answer some basic questions.
Who is this program intended for?
This strongman program is intended for:
- Those who want to get stronger
- Those who want to get ready for a strongman competition
- Those who want a general strength training program which includes strongman
Why should I train strongman?
Whether you are looking for explosive strength, the ability to lift heavy for multiple reps, or to increase your max lifts, strongman is a fun and effective way to do so. If you are looking for improvements across all three, there is no better alternative. Here are 33 more reasons to train strongman, and what strongman training can teach us about getting strong.
When are the workouts?
The workouts are released every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. However, that doesn’t mean you have to do them on those exact days. My only recommendation is that whenever you start this program, you start from week one, as opposed to jumping in mid-way through the cycle. The programming is progressive and starting from the beginning will ensure the safest and most effective advancement.
What equipment do I need?
The Tuesday and Thursday sessions are purposefully constructed so that you can do them in any respectable gym. No strongman equipment is required on these days.
On the Saturday, you will be doing event training. Ideally, you will have access to some basic strongman equipment for this. The more relevant equipment you have access to, the more you will get out of the program. Otherwise, take a look at these gym-based alternatives.
Where can I find more information and ask questions?
Each day will include notes along with the exercises. These should provide you with all the information you need to get going with this program. Also take a look at my strongman series, for an explanation of strongman events split down by equipment. If you have any further questions, please ask them on the Breaking Muscle forum, and I will get back to you as soon as possible with an answer.
Week 3, Day 3
- Farmers Walk: Heavy walk for 15m, 2 walks total. To learn more about the farmer's walk, read my article here.
- Axle or log: Work up to 8RM clean and press
- Keg throw: 5 throws for height. Rest 60 seconds. Repeat 3 times
- Farmers walk is to be performed at same weight across both walks.
- Axle or log clean and presses should be taken up to the heaviest set of 8 continuous reps possible. A few seconds to reset is permitted. The whole set should be complete in less than 60 seconds.
- Keg throws should take less than 60 seconds to complete each set.