A Relaxing Technique to Ease Low Back Pain (Video)
Today we are going to look at a technique called static back. This is a great exercise if you have low back pain. You are going to relax with your back on the floor for five to twenty minutes. Look for the arch of your back to settle down naturally into the floor.
Here's how to set yourself up:
- Lay on the floor
- Place your legs on a chair or couch
- Ensure your knees and hips are at ninety degrees
- Place your arms at a 45 degree angle from your body, with palms up
To help you relax into the floor, practice diaphragmatic breathing. This will engage your diaphragm muscle and encourage the muscles of your back to relax. Perform the following steps:
- Breathe into your stomach, so your belly button rises to the ceiling
- Breathe out, so your belly button falls back down to the floor
- Repeat this process
You might also notice that it is difficult to place your head down on the floor. If this happens to you, you can place one or two books underneath your head. Over time, the aim is to rest your head on the floor without the aid of any books. Give this a go and let us know how you get on.