How to Wrap Your Hands for Muay Thai (Video)
Today I'm going to cover how to wrap your hands. When wrapping your hands, you can use gauze or regular hand wraps. I feel gauze is superior, but regardless, the wrapping technique is the same. Here's how it goes:
- Take your hand wrap and measure out your knuckle line, around 3-4 inches.
- Using your thumb and forefinger, fold the wrap over around five times.
- This will make a knuckle padding about 1/4 inch thick.
- Put the folded sides down across the knuckles.
- Pinch the padding tight and wrap it underneath your hand.
- Fold the wrap over so the padding doesn’t move.
- Come underneath the hand and make a figure of eight around the thumb.
- Come round the back of the wrist and tape the thumb one more time.
Now for the crux of the wrapping technique, the part which will support and protect all your metacarpal bones.
- Wrap inside your pinky, make a tight fist, and bring the wrap over the index finger.
- Come back around and go through the ring finger.
- Continue in this manner.
- Once you reach the end of the wrap, tuck it in right below your wrist.
- Grab your second wrap and go over the knuckles two times.
- Wrap up the forearm back towards the wrist to lock on the rest of the wrapping.
There is no right or wrong way to wrap, as long as the thumb is protected, you have threading in between your fingers, and an attachment to the wrist.