Simple Stretches for a Painful Shoulder, Part 2
Andy McKenzie is an expert in bodyweight and core training. This week, he continues with his series of simple shoulder stretches to alleviate pain. This particular stretch hits the lats, which are often problem areas in overhead pressing.
To perform the stretch:
- Find a bench and kneel next to it, grabbing the far edge with your hands.
- Drop your butt toward your heels while keeping your back, especially your lumbar spine, and your elbows straight.
- Pull your chin up toward the back of your neck, but don't drop your head. Squeeze your glutes as well. All of these cues will help you target the lats in this stretch, rather than the armpits.
To focus on one side in particular:
- Place the opposite hand on the ground, then lean toward the side of the hand still on the bench until your bicep touches your ear.
- Keep both arms straight throughout. This modified stretch will loosen the infraspinatus, the latissimus dorsi, and the teres minor.
Check out these related videos: