The Best Way to Build Up to a Push Up
While this makes it easier from a lever point of view, it doesn't build up the strength required to be able to perform a push up.
There are far better ways to train for a full push up, including:
- Stability drills
- Straight arm planks
- Bear crawls
- Other crawling movements
Here's a push up regression that still allows you to engage all the muscles required for a proper push up:
- Hook up a fitness band at roughly shoulder height
- Step into it and wrap it around your ribcage
- Ensure you feel the tension of the band on the lats
- Place your hands shoulder width apart and your feet together
- Squeeze the abs and squeeze the butt
- Lower down under control, then drive back up
- Ensure you feel the inside of the tricep on the band as you drive up
This drill will keep you in the right position, at the same time as improving on the specific strength for a push up. Add it to your toolkit and your training plan if needed. Let us know have any questions!