Virtuosity with Dusty Hyland - Bent Arm Press to Handstand, Vol 5: Spotting the Shoulderstand
Welcome to season three of Virtuosity, featuring gymnastics experts and coaches Dusty Hyland and Tina Angelotti. Virtuosity, in gymnastics, means going above and beyond - exceptional movement, performance, and position.
Season three is all about the bent arm press to handstand and this week, Dusty breaks down how to spot each other in the progressions. Here's how it works:
- Find a willing and able friend.
- Have them stand to the right.
- The athlete will set up in tuck support position.
- The spotter's right hand will support the L-sit.
- The spotter's left hand will start on the low back.
- As the athlete moves to inversion, the spotter's hands will transfer.
- The spotter’s right hand will go to the shoulder.
- The spotter’s left hand will go to the shin.
- As the athlete rises into shoulderstand, the spotter will follow the line of action up.
- One of the spotters hand will remain on the shoulder girdle.
- As the athlete descends, the spotter will follow the line of action down.
The spotter's job is to ensure the athlete is balancing. Don't be afraid to get hands-on. By developing yourself as a spotter it will make you better at this movement as an athlete.
This week's homework is to do three sets of three, spotting each other and maintaining virtuosity. We'll see you next week!
Other episodes in this season:
Also check out:
Season one - on achieving the perfect muscle-up.
Season two - on perfecting your handstand walking.
Check back each week for more videos from Dusty. You can also find more gymnastics info and videos on CrossFit Gymnastics.