Flu-Buster Bone Broth for a Stronger Immune System
When you live a full life, you often have your workout week planned, or at least mapped out. Prepping and planning are key to maintaining a regular workout schedule.
In addition to preparation, the beauty of a conscious-living lifestyle is knowing where your food comes from, what you are eating, and why you are eating it. I offer food to my body as a way of working in harmony with all that it provides me each day, including my workouts. Being an overachiever, I tend to ask a lot of my person and my body, and I choose to use food to help support my full life at the cellular level. This approach was taught to me by Dr. Terry Wahls and her book, The Wahls Protocol.
"For the last three years, this food-based approach has proven more effective than anything I have ever done to stay healthy all year long."
As an example: fall has now begun, and for many of us the change of season presents a breeding ground for colds and flu. For me, getting sick and not being able to go to yoga or get my sweat on in any way creates both mental and physical havoc with my life. Before my conscious life, I didn’t realize I could modify my diet to support these changes.
Today, I drink bone broth and eat organ meat and bone marrow weekly. For the last three years, this food-based approach has proven more effective than anything I have ever done to stay healthy all year long.
Today I live an empowered life and fuel my cells and mitochondria with the nutrients they need to support a healthy immune system. Trust me when I tell you I never thought I would be saying or doing this. Long gone are the days of running from anyone with a sniffle. Now I know my immune health is fully supported and able to rise to the challenge. The same holds true for the extra long workout days, which are supported way beyond electrolyte replacement drinks.
Last year I shared a few of my favorite recipes for both Flavored Bone Broth and Roasted Bone Marrow. This year, I had the pleasure of meeting and having breakfast prepared for me by Dr. Terry Wahls and Chef Pete Evans during PaleoFX 2015. It was there that Chef Pete Evans introduced me to my favorite new bone broth recipe that includes both beef marrow bones and chicken feet for the ultimate bacteria buster. I cannot take credit for the combination, but I am sharing my version of this natural elixir that had me deeply in love at the first sip.
Flu-Buster Bone Broth
- Bunch of fresh poultry herbs (mixture of rosemary, sage, and thyme)
- 2lb chicken feet
- 1lb beef marrow, cut into rounds
- Filtered water
- 2 medium onions, chopped but not peeled
- 3 carrots, chopped not peeled
- 2 celery stalks, leaves included
- 1 head of garlic, just thrown in
- 2 Tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- Pink Himalayan sea salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Throw it all in the crockpot for 24 hours on low, or a pressure cooker for two hours.
- Strain once done and store in Mason jars or ice cube trays.
- Refrigerated storage lasts three days. You can re-boil every third day until gone or freeze the broth, defrosting when needed.
- If freezing in Mason jars, leave 1.5 inches from the top to prevent jars from breaking.
- I recommend using BPA-free silicone ice cube trays. Simply pop out the cubes and reheat for an afternoon cup.
More Like This:
- On-the-Go Mason Jar Meals for Busy Athletes
- 2 Easy Homemade Bacon Recipes
- 2 Flavored Bone Broth Recipes to Beat Flu Season
- New on Breaking Muscle Today
Photos courtesy of PaleoBOSS Lady.