Day 8 of 40
Prep time:10 min
Cook time: 25 min
- 3½ cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 5-8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced or diced
- 1 leek, white part only, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup arborio rice
- ¼ cup white wine
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ¼ cup sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons shredded parmesan (optional)
- Fresh chopped basil, for garnish
- In a saucepan, heat broth and keep at a simmer.
- In a separate wide bottom saucepan or skillet, add olive oil, mushrooms, leek, and garlic then sauté about five minutes until mushrooms have given up most of their moisture and leek is beginning to soften.
- Add rice and stir until it’s coated with the oil.
- Pour in white wine and let that absorb into the rice. Be careful not to let the pan go dry.
- Add a couple ladles of hot broth to the rice and stir occasionally. To check if it’s time to add more broth, drag your stirring spoon through the rice. If the space left by the spoon does not immediately fill in with liquid, add another ladle of broth. Continue this until all the broth is added.
- After all of the broth is added, stir in the salt and sundried tomatoes.
- Cook mixture until it resembles a loose oatmeal. Rice should still be al dente but look creamy.
- Remove from heat and add parmesan if using. The risotto will continue to absorb liquid as it cools to get to the perfect creamy consistency.
- Top with chopped basil and serve immediately.
Start your day with a hearty meal: