Athlete Journal: Terry Hadlow, Entry 11 - 1/6/2014
EDITOR'S NOTE: Welcome to the athlete journal of Terry Hadlow. Terry got started in Olympic weightlifting in 1970 and is the only Canadian to have competed in senior nationals in five different decades - 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, and 2010s. Follow Terry's journal here to learn about his approach to training and competing.
Athlete Journal Entry 11 - 1/6/2014
Week two, phase three, day one.
- Muscle snatch: 45kg x 6 x 2 sets
- 50kg x 6 x 2 sets - my legs were feeling a little sluggish so the rest of the workout will more than likely be adjusted to accommodate the fatigue from yesterday’s front squats.
- Speed snatch: 60 x 6 x 2 sets
- 70kg x 6 reps - then I decided to attempt 80kg. Not a very good idea as I struggled to finish just four reps. I thought that was going to happen, but you never know unless you try.
- Power snatch from the hang: 70kg x 2 x 6 reps - I fared no better. Made the jump to 80kg and managed to get two sets of four. The legs weren’t cooperating so instead of power snatch from the floor I switched to snatch pulls.
- 100kg x2 x 6 - my legs were toast.
Tuesday - Upper body
My circuit of behind the neck press, incline press, narrow pull downs, and curls went very well. The last three circuits were done with 130lbs behind neck, 140lbs for the incline press, 140lbs for narrow pull downs, all for six reps. I did the curls with 35lb dumbbells for ten reps.
Wednesday - Back squats
The legs felt pretty good compared to Monday.
- Back squats: 130kg for 3 x 6 reps - I decided to take on 140kg next. They went pretty well, really - not much harder than the 130kg squats.
- Speed squats: 80kg x 2 x 10 reps - I went light on these because I knew I had clean and jerks the next day and wanted something in the tank.
Thursday - Clean and jerk
I have to spend some quality time with this movement because my first test is in ten days and the jerk is a little rusty.
- Two speed cleans + one jerk: 60kg x 2 x 2
- 60kg x 2 x 2
- Two power clean from the hang: + one jerk: 80kg x 2 x 2 - my legs were a little tired but that was expected.
I started full clean and jerks with 90kg and then made 10kg jumps to 120kg. The clean was easy but as expected, the jerk was awful. It’s interesting to note that when I was competing in the early years the cleans were hard and the jerks were easy. How our bodies change.
Friday - Circuit Day
My long circuit was adjusted to accommodate the competition in a week. So I did a rest week circuit of forty minutes every second station of 35 seconds.
Today was a rest day, as I had worked out pretty hard six days in a row.
Sunday - Front Squats
Regardless of the competition coming up, I’m going to train my legs right through. I did 113kg, or 249lbs, for six, four, and two stop squats, with three reps of each, for a total of 36 reps. My legs were not happy and my groin flared up. I think it was a combination of the day’s work and hitting some pretty deep positions in the clean on Thursday.