The Holiday Turkey Gut Buster Workout
This is one of the best in-the-gym workouts you will ever try. I use this style of training a lot with my clients who want to get in super shape in minimum time. When done right, this style of training will really drive the metabolism and maximize calorie expenditure.
Warm-up: 5-10 minutes using your warm-up method of choice.
Workout: Follow the workout below, as closely as possible. Make interval mode substitutions where needed (example: don’t have a VersaClimber, use a Rower instead)
Rest: Rest as little as possible. Usually just the amount of time it takes to walk to the next station and or set up the next strength exercise.
Progress: Be sure to write down exercise, weight used, repetitions, and most important total workout time. You will want these for comparison in the future and to help you choose more accurate weights each time you do this workout.
Volume / Intensity: Do one set of each strength exercise. Choose a weight you feel will cause you to reach momentary muscular failure at the desired rep range. This means - choose something challenging that just barely allows you to finish the prescribed number of repetitions. Do not stop and re-load if you slightly under estimate the resistance level. If you guess wrong and the weight is too easy, ignore the prescribed reps and continue lifting for as many reps as possible.
- Over Head Press: 10-14 reps
- Pull-Down / Pull-up: (Dead Hang) 10-14 reps
- Rowing Machine: 30 seconds work / 30 seconds rest, x6
- Chest Press: 10-14 reps
- Seated / Bent Over Row: 10-14 reps
- Stationary Bike: 1 minute work / 30 seconds rest, x4
- Multi-Joint Leg (Squat or Leg Press variation): 12-16 reps
- Hamstring Exercise (machine curl or straight legged deadlift, etc): 10-14 reps
- Step Mill or other Step Machine: 20 seconds work / 20 seconds rest, x8
- Push Press: 8-12 reps
- High Pull: 8-12 reps
- Box Jump (18-24 inch box): 8-12 reps
- VersaClimber: 10 seconds work / 20 seconds rest, x8
- Push-ups: 6-10 reps – add weight to increase difficulty
- Inverted Row: 6-10 reps – add weight to increase difficulty
- Hanging Knee Raise: As many reps as possible in 2:00
Build your own: Use these steps to create your own version of this awesome workout.
- Plug in a strength exercise, and an interval mode of your choice for each category.
- Create desired Rep range(s), and interval Work / Rest ratios (or use those listed).
- Attempt to complete the entire workout in the least amount of time possible.