Muscle Mass, Strength, and Mobility: Choose 3
EDITOR'S NOTE: Dr. John Rusin is not your run-of-the-mill physical therapist and coach. His vision and knowledge brings together high-performance strength and hypertrophy programming with cutting-edge, pain-free training methodology. With more than a decade of high level training experience and advanced degrees in both exercise science and physical therapy, Dr. Rusin develops performance, regeneration, and aesthetics programs for all his clients using the same care and focus as he does when programming for some of the world’s best power athletes, NFL and MLB athletes, competitive powerlifters, and bodybuilders.
If you've resolved to pack on more muscle while maintaining your strength and functionality, you've come to the right place.
My name is Dr. John Rusin. Let me welcome you to the next twelve weeks of your training.
This is not your average hypertrophy program. During this three-month program, I will personally take you step by step into building up your lean muscle mass, one custom-built training session at a time.
Not your average hypertrophy program, not your average doctor.
Our primary goal in this program is to pack some muscle armor onto your frame. We'll do it with intelligently designed programming that will yield next-level leanness and functional strength.
What good is adding muscle if you can’t use it or if you spend your days in pain?
For more on his methods, read Dr. Rusin's other articles, including Everything You Need to Know About Supersets for Hypertrophy
This program is designed around four heavy training days per week, broken down into upper and lower body splits. Within the six two-week phases are strategically placed regeneration weeks. By using using variations of the big movements, we'll keep you fresh and peaking at just the right time.
- Monday - lower body heavy
- Tuesday - upper body heavy
- Wednesday - LISS (low intensity, steady state) cardio recovery
- Thursday - lower body pump
- Friday - upper body pump
- Saturday -LISS cardio recovery
- Sunday - off
This program requires some mainstream gym equipment. If you belong to a health club or big box gym, this program will work perfectly. For those of you who work out at home or have limited gym equipment, the programming can be modified to your specific equipment and needs.
A Note on Notation:
Set notation: sets x reps @ rest, in seconds
Superset notation: When you see an a., b., etc., do these as supersets. Unlike many supersets you may have done in the past, you still take the programmed rest period between opposing movements.
1. machine hamstring curl 3x10@30 (2 ramp up sets)
2. back squat 5x6@60 (3 ramp up sets)
3. reverse lunge 4x8@60 (2 ramp up sets)
4. barbell RDL 3x10@45 (1 ramp up set)
4a. leg extension 4x20@30 (1 ramp up set)
4b. leg curl 4x20@30 (1 ramp up set)
5. standing calf raises 3x30@45 (1 ramp up set)
Means you do this:
1. 2 ramp up sets and 3 work sets of 10 reps machine hamstring curls, resting 30 seconds after each set
2. 3 ramp up sets and 5 work sets of 6 reps back squats, resting 60 seconds after each set
3. 2 ramp up sets and 4 sets of 8 reps reverse lunges, resting 60 seconds after each set
4. 1 ramp up set and 3 work sets of 10 reps barbell Romanian deadlift, resting 45 seconds after each set
4a. 1 ramp up set of 20 reps leg extensions, rest 30 seconds
4b. 1 ramp up set of 20 leg curls, rest 30 seconds
Then repeat this 4 times:
4a. 1 work set of 20 reps leg extensions, rest 30 seconds
4b. 1 work set of 20 reps leg curls, rest 30 seconds
5. 1 ramp up set and 3 work sets of 30 reps standing calf raises, resting 45 seconds after each set
Now, you can get the Breaking Muscle-exclusive More Muscle, Less Fat ebook for free. It includes all twelve weeks of Dr. John Rusin's functional hypertrophy program, three articles from John on how to get the most out of the program, and three articles on nutrition to complement your training. Download it here.
Hypertrophy Phase One: Week One
Day 1: lower body heavy
1.MACHINE HAMSTRING CURL 3X6@30 (2 RAMP UP SETS)
2. BACK SQUAT 5X8@60 (3 RAMP UP SETS)
3. REVERSE LUNGE 4X12@60 (2 RAMP UP SETS)
4. BARBELL RDL 3X15@45 (1 RAMP UP SET)
4A. LEG EXTENSION 4X15@30 (1 RAMP UP SET)
4B. LEG CURL 4X15@30 (1 RAMP UP SET)
5. STANDING CALF RAISES 2X30@45 (1 RAMP UP SET)
Day 2: upper body heavy
1. FACE PULL 3X6@30 (2 RAMP UP SETS)
2. BENCH PRESS 5X5@60 (3 RAMP UP SETS)
3. CHIN-UP 4X6@60 (3 RAMP UP SETS)
4. SLIGHT INCLINE DB BENCH PRESS 3X12@60 (2 RAMP UP SETS)
5. SINGLE ARM DB ROW 3X15@60 (2 RAMP UP SETS)
6A. BARBELL OVERHEAD PRESS 3X12@45 (1 RAMP UP SET)
6B. REAR DELT RAISE 3X12@45 (1 RAMP UP SET)
Day 3: lower body pump
1. HIP THRUST 3X8@45 (2 RAMP UP SETS)
2. FRONT SQUAT 5X8@60 (3 RAMP UP SETS)
3. TRAP BAR DEADLIFT 5X6@60 (3 RAMP UP SETS)
4A. BULGARIAN SPLIT SQUAT 4X15@0 (1 RAMP UP SET)
4B. BULGARIAN SPLIT SQUAT HOLD 4X30@60 (1 RAMP UP SET)
5. LEG PRESS 4X20 (3 RAMP UP SETS)
5A. BODYWEIGHT SPEED SQUAT 3X25@45 (1 RAMP UP SET)
5B. REVERSE HYPEREXTENSION 3X25@45 (1 RAMP UP SET)
Day 4: upper body pump
1. BAND PULL APART 3X6@30 (2 RAMP UP SETS)
2. CHAIN/BAND BENCH PRESS 4X10@60 (3 RAMP UP SETS)
3. WIDE GRIP PULL-UP 4X8@60 (3 RAMP UP SETS)
4A. DIP 4X12@30 (2 RAMP UP SETS)
5A. BARBELL CURL 4X10@30 (2 RAMP UP SETS)
5A. DB CURL 3X15@30 (2 RAMP UP SETS)
5B. TRICEPS PUSH DOWN 3X15@30 (2 RAMP UP SETS)
6A. PUSH-UP 2XMAX@30 (1 RAMP UP 10 REPS)
6B. HANGING L-SIT 2XMAX@30 (1 RAMP UP 10 SECS)