Strength & Conditioning: Andrew Read - Week 2, Day 2
EDITOR'S NOTE: These workouts are designed by Master RKC Andrew Read. When it comes to obstacle course races (and a lot of other things), Andrew knows his stuff. Not only does he have a special forces background, but he's also an Ironman and currently training for a Spartan Race himself. Enjoy the workouts and good luck with your event!
This plan is designed to get you ready for a Spartan Race or other obstacle course event. The workouts are four days per week, with three of the days being double, split with extra running later in the day. If you have any questions about the exercises in the workouts, see the information I've outlined here.
It’s also imperative that you have a long run every weekend. If your event is 10km or less, your long run should be around two hours. If your event goes to 21km, you will need more like three hours on these weekend runs.These extra long runs are not written in the plan but don’t neglect them, as they are the cornerstones of distance running.
Work hard, eat well, and sleep a lot. In four weeks you’ll be Spartan ready AROO!
Week 2, Day 2
Focus – upper body strength, upper body strength endurance.
- Overhead face the wall squats 2 sets x 5
- Body weight squats 2 sets x 10
- Lunge walk forward and back x 10m x 2
- Crawl forward and back x 10m x 2
Stretch whatever needs stretching for five to ten minutes.
- 1A. Handstand push ups x AMRAP
- 1B. Weighted pull-ups x 5
- 1C. Hanging leg raises x AMRAP
- Repeat for 5 rounds, resting as much as needed to get your reps. Increase weight used on pull-ups from last week.
- 2A. Push-ups x AMRAP. Pick a version that limits you to 10 reps per set.
- 2B. Chin ups x AMRAP.
- 2C. Hollow body hold x 60 seconds
- Repeat for three rounds, resting a minute between each. Make sure to get more total chins this week than last.
AMRAP in 20 minutes:
- 3A. Double Kettlebell Clean x 10
- 3B. Burpees x 10
- 3C. Rope Climb x 1
Focus – fast running, anaerobic fitness.
1.2km easy run.
- 4 x 200m hard/ 200m easy
- 4 x 400m hard/ 400m easy
1.2km easy run.
Aim to make the 200s and 400s at above race pace.