4-Week Intermediate Strength and Power Program
Increase whole-body strength and power, as measured by 1RM in deadlift, power clean, and bench press.
Before You Start
- Test your 1RM power clean (if you can do this movement; if not, watch the video below and learn how and test at the end of the program)
- Test your 1RM deadlift
- Test your 1RM bench press
Do these tests on the same day. You can change the order of exercises if you want, but remember to keep the same order when you retest at the end of the program. If you have never done a one rep max before, read this article I wrote for guidance.
How to Perform the Exercises in This Program
Before starting the program, please read the notes below on how to perform the exercises:
- Rule of thumb for weight selection: Go as heavy as you can with good form for the specified rep range. If the rep range decreases, your weight should increase.
- Power Clean: If you don’t know how to power clean, watch my how to video. Even if you can power clean, it’s worth watching the video anyway!
- Front Squat: Avoid using the crossed-arm grip. Using the rack position will help your power clean.
- Pull Up and Dip: If you can’t do them, use a resistance band or other regression. If you can do them, progress by adding weight or for pull ups use a thick bar or thick grips.
- Wide Grip Deadlift: Use straps or hook grip. If you’re not mobile enough to do it safely, do a normal grip deadlift standing on a low platform or stack of mats.
- Rack Deadlift: Set bar in the rack or on blocks so that the bar is just below the knee. You should be able to use more weight than your normal deadlift from the floor.
- Push Up: Do the hardest version you can do, e.g. incline, decline, explosive. Explosive is preferred.
- Romanian Deadlift: Use straps so you can go heavier. Loss of grip affects form in this exrcise.
- Abs: Alternate between isometric (e.g. plank), twisting (e.g. Russian twists), and crunch.
Check out these related articles:
- 4 Reasons You're Not Getting Stronger
- 3 Reasons You Don’t Squat More (And What to Do About It)
- 3 Signs Lifting Weights Isn't for You
- What's New on Breaking Muscle UK Today