Strength & Conditioning: Andrew Read - Week 3, Day 3
EDITOR'S NOTE: These workouts are designed by Master RKC Andrew Read. When it comes to obstacle course races (and a lot of other things), Andrew knows his stuff. Not only is does he have a special forces background, but he's also an Ironman and currently training for a Spartan Race himself. Enjoy the workouts and good luck with your event!
This plan is designed to get you ready for a Spartan Race or other obstacle course event. The workouts are four days per week, with three of the days being double, split with extra running later in the day. If you have any questions about the exercises in the workouts, see the information I've outlined here.
It’s also imperative that you have a long run every weekend. If your event is 10km or less, your long run should be around two hours. If your event goes to 21km, you will need more like three hours on these weekend runs.These extra long runs are not written in the plan but don’t neglect them, as they are the cornerstones of distance running.
Work hard, eat well, and sleep a lot. In four weeks you’ll be Spartan ready AROO!
Week 3, Day 3
Focus – leg strength, power endurance.
- Overhead face the wall squats 2 sets x 5
- Body weight squats 2 sets x 10
- Lunge walk forward and back x 10m x 2
- Crawl forward and back x 10m x 2
- Stretch whatever needs stretching for five to ten minutes.
- 1A. Single leg deadlift 2 sets x 5
- 1B. Goblet squat 2 sets x 5
2A. Back squat 1 x 10 @ 50%, 2 x 5 @70%, 2 x 3 @ 80% then 5 x 2 @ 90% 1RM 1RM.
- 3A. Step-ups holding kettlebells (KB) in the rack position x 10 each leg
- 3B. Sled push x 20m
- 3C. Single leg glute bridges on bench x 5 each leg
- 3D. Single leg calf raises x 20 each leg
Repeat for three rounds.
All exercises performed for 30 seconds, with 15 seconds rest before next exercise.
• Push ups
• KB snatch L
• KB snatch R
• KB one hand swing L
• KB one hand swing R
• Mountain climbers
• KB Two hand swing
• Squat jumps
Rest one minute at end of circuit and perform six total rounds.
Focus – aerobic running
5-8km easy run.