Strongman: Cycle 4, Week 5, Day 2
Welcome to the fourth cycle of Strongman workouts. Before we get started, let me answer some basic questions.
Who is this program intended for?
This strongman program is intended for:
- Those who want to get stronger
- Those who want to get ready for a strongman competition
- Those who want a general strength training program which includes strongman
Why should I train strongman?
Whether you are looking for explosive strength, the ability to lift heavy for multiple reps, or to increase your max lifts, strongman is a fun and effective way to do so. If you are looking for improvements across all three, there is no better alternative. Here are 33 more reasons to train strongman, and what strongman training can teach us about getting strong.
When are the workouts?
The workouts are released every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. However, that doesn’t mean you have to do them on those exact days. My only recommendation is that whenever you start this program, you start from week one, as opposed to jumping in mid-way through the cycle. The programming is progressive and starting from the beginning will ensure the safest and most effective advancement.
What equipment do I need?
The Tuesday and Thursday sessions are purposefully constructed so that you can do them in any respectable gym. No strongman equipment is required on these days.
On the Saturday, you will be doing event training. Ideally, you will have access to some basic strongman equipment for this. The more relevant equipment you have access to, the more you will get out of the program. Otherwise, take a look at these gym-based alternatives.
Where can I find more information and ask questions?
Each day will include notes along with the exercises. These should provide you with all the information you need to get going with this program. Also take a look at my strongman series, for an explanation of strongman events split down by equipment. If you have any further questions, please ask them on the Breaking Muscle forum, and I will get back to you as soon as possible with an answer.
Week 5, Day 2
A) Work up to 4RM for 4 sets across.
B) Add 10% of your 1RM to the weight used for A and perform 1 set of 2 reps.
C) Add another 10% of your 1RM to the weight used for B and perform 1 set of 2 reps.
D) Go back to the weight used for A and perform 1 set of 10 reps
- Bench Press: Work up to 6RM for 3 sets across.
- Tempo squats: Work up to 5RM for 3 sets across.
- Ab work of choice: 12 minutes.
- Deadlift should be touch and go for the sets of 4. Aim to make these 5kg heavier than Week 3, Day 2. They can be dropped and reset for the sets of 2. They should be dropped and reset for the set of 10.
- Bench press should be taken up to a weight you know you will be able to perform with near perfect form for all 6 sets. Aim to make these 2.5kg heavier than Week 1, Day 1.
- Tempo squats should be done with a 3 second descent, no pause at bottom, and a 1 second ascent.
- Ab work should be broken down into suitable sets and performed as continuously as possible for twelve minutes.