EDITOR'S NOTE:Every Sunday we will be featuring a new bodyweight exercise video from physical therapist Ben Musholt, author of the Mad Skills Exercise Encyclopedia. Ben has a diverse movement background, spanning board sports, martial arts, parkour, and gymnastics. Get watching and get moving!
In this video, Ben Musholt demonstrates five different box jump variations for you to try. The movements are:
- Box jump – A two-footed take-off, and two footed landing.
- Single leg box jump – A one-footed take-off, and one-footed landing.
- Side box jump – Standing perpendicular to the box, landing facing the same direction.
- 180-degree box jump – Standing perpendicular to the box, landing facing the opposite direction.
- Step up – Facing the box, can add a medicine ball or kettlebell to increase difficulty.
In addition to using the plyo box for leg strengthening, you can also use it for strengthening the upper body. Try these two variations:
- Reverse hyper – Lay with front on the box, and raise legs above the height of the box.
- Jackknife push up – With feet on the box and hips directly above your shoulders, perform a push up.
Put your plyo box to use! Let us know how you get on with these.