A Systematic Approach to End Chronic Back Pain
Everybody’s Back Is Bad
The Backdrop of Back Pain
- What daily stress do I regularly have in my life? This includes workouts, because yes, they are a positive stressor.
- What stress do I have that I cannot change?
- Do I get good quality sleep regularly?
- When do I notice my back the most? Is it positional (sitting, standing, lying down)? After an argument with my spouse? After I walk down an incline?
- When do I notice my back the least? After a massage, after a workout, while I am engaged with friends and family? When I’m writing, or working on a project?
Categorize Your Stress
The Nervous System and Sleep
Movement Patterns Can Reinforce Pain
Breathing and Stress
Beat Your Back Pain, Part 1: Calm the CNS Down
Move Smarter, Hurt Less
Address Your Stress
Beat Your Back Pain, Part 2: Build the Body Up
Learn Joint Isolation
Pick Your Movements
Break the Cycle of Pain
1. Vrana, Andrea, Sabina Hotz-Boendermaker, Philipp Stämpfli, Jürgen Hänggi, Erich Seifritz, B. Kim Humphreys, and Michael L. Meier. "Differential Neural Processing during Motor Imagery of Daily Activities in Chronic Low Back Pain Patients." PLoS One 10, no. 11 (2015): e0142391.
2. O'Keeffe, Mary, Helen Purtill, Norelee Kennedy, Peter O'Sullivan, Wim Dankaerts, Aidan Tighe, Lars Allworthy, Louise Dolan, Norma Bargary, and Kieran O'Sullivan. "Individualised cognitive functional therapy compared with a combined exercise and pain education class for patients with non-specific chronic low back pain: study protocol for a multicentre randomised controlled trial." BMJ Open 5, no. 6 (2015): e007156.
3. Chang, Douglas G., Jacquelyn A. Holt, Marisa Sklar, and Erik J. Groessl. "Yoga as a treatment for chronic low back pain: A systematic review of the literature." Journal of Orthopedics & Rheumatology 3, no. 1 (2016): 1.
4. Lin, Hui-Ting, Wei-Ching Hung, Jia-Ling Hung, Pei-Shan Wu, Li-Jin Liaw, and Jia-Hao Chang. "Effects of pilates on patients with chronic non-specific low back pain: a systematic review." Journal of Physical Therapy Science 28, no. 10 (2016): 2961-2969.
5. Shah, Shlesha G., and Vijay Kage. "Effect of Seven Sessions of Posterior-to-Anterior Spinal Mobilisation versus Prone Press-ups in Non-Specific Low Back Pain–Randomized Clinical Trial." Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research: JCDR 10, no. 3 (2016): YC10.
6. Anderson, B. E., and Bliven KC Huxel. "The Use of Breathing Exercises in the Treatment of Chronic, Non-Specific Low Back Pain." Journal of Sport Rehabilitation (2016).
7. Michalsen, Andreas, Natalie Kunz, Michael Jeitler, Stefan Brunnhuber, Larissa Meier, Rainer Lüdtke, Arndt Büssing, and Christian Kessler. "Effectiveness of focused meditation for patients with chronic low back pain—A randomized controlled clinical trial." Complementary Therapies in Medicine 26 (2016): 79-84.
8. Michaelson, Peter, David Holmberg, Björn Aasa, and Ulrika Aasa. "High Load Lifting Exercise and Low Load Motor Control Exercises As Interventions for Patients with Mechanical Low Back Pain: A Randomized Controlled Trial with 24-month Follow-up." Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine 48, no. 5 (2016): 456-463.
9. Kong, Yong-Soo, Gwon-Uk Jang, and Seol Park. "The effects of prone bridge exercise on the Oswestry disability index and proprioception of patients with chronic low back pain." Journal of physical therapy science 27, no. 9 (2015): 2749.
10. Bonvanie, Irma J., Albertine J. Oldehinkel, Judith GM Rosmalen, and Karin AM Janssens. "Sleep problems and pain: a longitudinal cohort study in emerging adults." Pain 157, no. 4 (2016): 957-963.
11. Saragiotto, Bruno T., Christopher G. Maher, Tiê P. Yamato, Leonardo OP Costa, Luciola C. Menezes Costa, Raymond WJG Ostelo, and Luciana G. Macedo. "Motor control exercise for chronic non‐specific low‐back pain." The Cochrane Library (2016).
12. Gomes-Neto, Mansueto, Jordana Moura Lopes, Cristiano Sena Conceição, Anderson Araujo, Alécio Brasileiro, Camila Sousa, Vitor Oliveira Carvalho, and Fabio Luciano Arcanjo. "Stabilization exercise compared to general exercises or manual therapy for the management of low back pain: A systematic review and meta-analysis." Physical Therapy in Sport (2016).
13. Moseley, G. Lorimer. "I can’t find it! Distorted body image and tactile dysfunction in patients with chronic back pain." Pain 140, no. 1 (2008): 239-243.
14. Roosink, Meyke, Bradford J. McFadyen, Luc J. Hébert, Philip L. Jackson, Laurent J. Bouyer, and Catherine Mercier. "Assessing the perception of trunk movements in military personnel with chronic non-specific low back pain using a virtual mirror." PloS one 10, no. 3 (2015): e0120251.
15. Mokhtarinia, Hamid Reza, Mohammad Ali Sanjari, Mahshid Chehrehrazi, Sedigheh Kahrizi, and Mohamad Parnianpour. "Trunk coordination in healthy and chronic nonspecific low back pain subjects during repetitive flexion–extension tasks: Effects of movement asymmetry, velocity and load." Human Movement Science 45 (2016): 182-192.
16. Rio, Ebonie, Mathijs van Ark, Sean Docking, G. Lorimer Moseley, Dawson Kidgell, Jamie E. Gaida, Inge van den Akker-Scheek, Johannes Zwerver, and Jill Cook. "Isometric Contractions Are More Analgesic Than Isotonic Contractions for Patellar Tendon Pain: An In-Season Randomized Clinical Trial." Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine (Canada) (2016).