Malik Bernoussi Triolet has been a competitive powerlifter for just over four years. In that time, the 18-year-old French athlete has had his moments, but perhaps never one that put him “on the map.” That may no longer be an issue.
During the 2022 International Powerlifting Federation (IPF) World Classic Sub-Junior and Junior Championships, Triolet broke three raw Sub-Junior IPF World Records in the back squat, bench press, and total in the 93-kilogram weight class. He also captured a competition personal record (PR) on his best deadlift.
These respective stats were enough to vault Triolet to first place in his class. The contest featuring other young competitors like Triolet took place in Istanbul, Turkey, from Aug. 27 to Sept. 4, 2022. Here’s a rundown of Triolet’s top stats from his performance:
2022 IPF World Classic Sub-Junior Championships | Malik Bernoussi Triolet (93KG)
- Squat — 282 kilograms (621.7 pounds) | Sub-Junior IPF World Record
- Bench Press — 200.5 kilograms (442 pounds) | Sub-Junior IPF World Record
- Deadlift — 292.5 kilograms (644.9 pounds) | Competition PR
- Total — 775 kilograms (1,708.6 pounds) | Sub-Junior IPF World Record
Because Triolet’s new bench press record surpassed his previous mark, the French athlete is now the first 93-kilogram Sub-Junior IPF athlete to press at least 200 kilograms (440.9 pounds). Triolet’s past best bench press was a 193-kilogram (425.5-pound) mark from the 2021 European Powerlifting Federation (EPF) European Classic Powerlifting Championships.
View this post on Instagram
Meanwhile, Triolet’s squat record exceeded Jaime Santillana Izquierdo’s previous world record by 8.5 kilograms (18.7 pounds). As for the staggering total, Triolet eclipsed Jack Hopkins, who logged a 752.5-kilogram (1,659-pound) total at the 2021 EPF European Classic Championships.
Here’s an overview of some of the more notable results from Triolet’s career, who has only ever competed raw:
Malik Bernoussi Triolet (Sub-Juniors) | Notable Career Results
- 2018 Fédération Française de Force (FFForce) Premier Pas FA PL LAURAF (66KG) — First place/First career victory
- 2019 FFForce Challenge d’Hiver FA PL LAURAF (74KG) — First place
- 2020 FFForce Test Match Eleiko (83KG) — Fourth place
- 2021 IPF World Classic Powerlifting Championships (93KG) — Second place
- 2022 IPF World Classic Sub-Junior and Junior Powerlifting Championships (93KG) — First place
According to Open Powerlifting, Triolet has competed in 12 sanctioned contests since October 2018. He has four victories to his name. Triolet has finished off the podium on only three occasions and can now boast of his first career victory in a major international competition.
View this post on Instagram
At the time of this writing, Triolet hasn’t made any formal indications toward an upcoming strength competition. That said, at 18 years old and already the owner of a world title, the sky is the limit for one of French powerlifting’s next stars.