In the Asian powerlifting circuit, Sen Yang has been a mainstay for quite some time. He’s a former Asian Powerlifting Federation (AsianPF) World Champion — both as an Equipped (2016-2017, 2019) and Raw competitor (2019). Of late, he’s been making a name for himself under the international strength spotlight.
On Nov. 19, 2022, during the latter portion of the schedule at the 2022 International Powerlifting Federation (IPF) Equipped World Championships, Yang successfully locked out a 440.5-kilogram (971.1-pound) equipped squat. The display of leg strength is an all-time IPF World Record in the 120-kilogram weight class, and places Yang alongside other unique competitors who captured equipped World Records at the same contest. (Note: As the final results are calculated, Yang’s exact position and finish remain unclear at this time.)
According to the IPF database and Open Powerlifting, this squat World Record for Yang surpasses his previous best equipped squat of 440 kilograms (970 pounds) at the 2022 IPF World Games by half a kilogram. Yang has featured as a simultaneous AsianPF and IPF powerlifter since November 2015 and has generally steadily improved in the years since. The athlete also appears humble over his latest achievement, given his quiet bows to the respective spotters for his World Record lift in the clip of the squat.
Here’s a rundown of some of the more notable results from Yang’s powerlifting resume:
Sen Yang | Notable Career Results
- 2011 AsianPF Asian Powerlifting Championships (Sub-Juniors/Equipped) — First place | First career full power meet victory
- 2016-2017, 2019 Asian PF Asian Powerlifting Championships (Open/Equipped) — First place
- 2016-2017 IPF World Sub-Juniors and Juniors Powerlifting Championships (Juniors/Equipped) — Second place
- 2018 IPF Equipped World Championships (Open/Equipped) — Third place
- 2019 IPF Equipped World Championships (Open/Equipped) — Fourth place
- 2019 AsianPF Asian Classic Powerlifting Championships (Open/Raw) — First place
- 2022 IPF World Games (Super/Equipped) — Second place
On a pure strength basis, Yang appears to have a well-rounded profile of power — even outside his new IPF World Record squat in the 120-kilogram division. Here are the athlete’s all-time equipped competition bests:
Sen Yang | All-Time Equipped Competition Bests
- Squat — 440.5 kilograms (971.1 pounds) | IPF World Record
- Bench Press — 322.5 kilograms (711 pounds)
- Deadlift — 332.5 kilograms (733 pounds)
- Total — 1,095 kilograms (2,414 pounds)
Given the versatility and competitive profile Yang has amassed at this stage of his career, it’s fair to wonder what else he has up his strength sleeve. If he can get a World Record now, he might have opened up a Pandora’s box of pending milestone accomplishments.
Featured image: theipf on Instagram