We love a scotch egg. A great protein and fat hit, packed with flavor, and full of nutrients – especially the way we make them. These are great at any meal time, or as a grab-and-go snack. We recommend bulk cooking so there are plenty for other days, as you will be scoffing these straight out of the oven!
Gluten-Free Mexican Scotch Eggs
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30-35 minutes
Serves: Makes 8 big scotch eggs
- 10 eggs (2 are for the coating)
- 12 high meat percentage gluten-free sausages
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped into small chunks
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped into small chunks
- ½ cup ground almonds
- 3 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cayenne chili powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil, add 8 of the eggs, bring to the boil again and cook for 4 minutes. As soon as the 4 minutes are up, remove saucepan from the heat, pour the hot water away, and replace with cold water to prevent the eggs from cooking further.
- Mix the sausage meat, peppers, herbs, spices, salt, and pepper together thoroughly using your hands.
- Peel your eggs, spread the ground almonds out on a plate, and then beat the remaining 2 eggs.
- Carefully wrap the meat mixture around each egg until each egg is completely covered. Have a bowl of water handy and wet your hands a little to prevent the mixture sticking to you.
- Once each egg is covered, roll each one in the beaten egg and then in the ground almonds. Then place onto a baking tray and into the oven for 25-30 minutes on the top rack.
Note: Some may split but don’t worry, they still taste awesome.