I hope you completed the first 12-week program successfully. We will now integrate a new training regimen that continues to encompass strength and endurance, with an added flexibility component. The goal in this cycle is to continue to address muscular and cardiovascular fitness while paying more attention to optimizing joint flexibility.
The goal in the second cycle is the same as cycle 1 but with a different training format. During this cycle you will return to a three non-consecutive days per week format as follows:
Week 8, Day 3
A. Continuous Work #8
3:00 warm up
3:00 cool down
B. Lower Body Strength Training
Dumbbell Squat (6) and Lunge (3): 2 – 4 reps
Squat or Leg Press: 8 -12 reps
Leg Curls: 8 – 12 reps
Abdominal Exercises of your choice: 40 reps
Please note that static stretching should be performed AFTER the other scheduled training component(s). Use your own static routine provided it addresses the shoulder, hips/low back, knee, and ankle joints. Use the following static-stretch exercises if you do not have your own routine. Execute each stretch in the following manner:
- Ease into a mild stretch and hold for a 10 count.
- Repeat the stretch but aim to stretch a little further.
- Hold for another 10 count.
Static stretches from the shoulders down:
- Shoulder Stretch: Elbow up and pulled behind the head – right arm then left arm.
- Chest Stretch: Arm across the chest, elbow pulled to chest – right arm then left arm.
- Bar Hang: Hang from a chin up bar.
- Forward Bend: Legs straight, back arched, reach for the toes.
- Prone: Lie on your stomach with your hands on the floor, next to your shoulders. Press up to extend the arms while keeping the hips pushed down.
- Lunge: Big step forward with the right leg, left knee rests on the floor. Reach out and down to the left. Repeat with the left leg forward.
IMPORTANT POINTS FOR PROGRAM SUCCESS:
- Always record your workout data from session to session. You can use these strength training forms to log the amount of resistance used, number of repetitions achieved, workout completion time, and any other pertinent information necessary for progression.
- Make sure you warm up and cool down for each workout.
- Be safe. It is important to work hard, but don’t push yourself beyond reasonable ability. Err on the side of caution and you will extend your ability to train consistently and enjoy it.