Kevin Kearns knows what it means to train like a fighter – he has trained UFC fighters like Kenny Florian, Stephan Bonnar, and Marcus Davis for a living for many years. Now you can get a chance at these hardcore workouts, that also happen to be a lot of fun.
To learn more about Kevin, read our feature interview:
Workout 15: Explosive Power Drills
We like explosive power drills. Box jumps, plyo push-ups, and the like are awesome for training explosive power. The challenge is that long-term use of these great exercises can really beat up your knees and other joints. Let’s face facts, none of us is getting any younger.
I was exposed to mini-trampoline work through a friend of mine in New England named Joanne. Now Joanne is no aerobics bunny chick, she has been around the block for a long time and has worked with some of the top companies and athletes around. Joanne informed me that beyond the plyometric benefits of working with the mini-trampoline, there is a high level of recovery. For removing lactic acid and other waste products from the body after exercise it’s an excellent resource. It also aids the lymphatic system – the system primarily responsible for being the biggest filter for the body.
Here’s the program to kick your butt, now that you have one. The rotation is 30 seconds first time through, 40 seconds on the second round and 50 on the 3rd
1. Box jumps – jump straight up and control your landing
2. Split hands pushups- as you explode up, switch your hands in mid air
3. Single leg hops, alternating legs
4. Ground and pound with the small med ball
5. Glute bounces – a core killer
6. Rotational jumps – great for Thai kicks
7. Burpees – use a bosu to add another challenge to balance
8. Sityodtong float knees
9. Medicine ball smashes
10. Bounce bounce burn ( this is a killer on the legs – add that extra hot sauce)