Every Sunday we post the “Sunday Seven” so you can quickly see the 7 most popular articles of the week. This week’s top posts cover everything from grappling, to CrossFit, to Tough Mudder training, to peppermint!
1. The 5 Critical Responsibilities of the Grappling Student (Valerie Worthington)
There are no rights without attendant responsibilities. As a student of BJJ you have responsibilities to yourself, your instructor, and your community. I’m going to outline them. Tell me if you agree.
2. The Top 10 Best Training Exercises (Katie Chasey)
Last week I shared the 10 worst training exercises – this week it’s the 10 best! Are your favorites on this list? Should you be doing some of these? And did I miss some you think are the best?
3. An Analysis to the Hormonal Response to CrossFit (Jeff Barnett)
I love a good study that takes a shot at CrossFit without ever mentioning its name. In this case researchers looked at the workout “Linda” and the related effect on cortisol and lactic acid.
4. Made Strong Through Weakness: How CrossFit Transformed an Italian Prison (Maurizio Guarrata)
I didn’t know the day I received that handwritten letter that it would lead to the transformation of many lives, including my own. It led me on a journey to bring CrossFit to men of an Italian prison.
Signed up for some crazy race and now you need to be prepared for it? Obstacle courses offer a unique challenge, so your training must be unique as well. Here’s a 6 week plan to get you in gear.
6. How to Use Bodyweight Training to Build Bigger Muscles (Jeremy DuVall)
It doesn’t matter what tool you use, your body get bigger because you apply a stimulus. You create an overload. Learn how to manipulate angles and exercises to build muscle with just your bodyweight.
7. The Surprising and Substantial Effects of Peppermint on Exercise (Doug Dupont)
Researchers looked at the effect of peppermint oil on running performance. Total work performed by the test subjects was increased by a whopping 51%. Subjects went faster, and for longer.