Spartan Fit is a comprehensive 30-day workout, diet, and recovery plan for athletes who want to take their fitness to the next level and compete in Spartan and obstacle course racing.
Spartan Fit is an easy to follow, yet potent program written by Joe De Sena, founder and CEO of Spartan Race. De Sena is a fitness and health master who has competed in endurance and adventure races, including the 135-mile Badwater Ultramarathon, Lake Placid Ironman, and the 100-mile trail run in Vermont.
Spartan Fit Is Designed for Competition
Spartan Race training at its core is designed for competing in Spartan Races. De Sena created the Spartan Race series to be the ultimate test of an athlete’s strength, flexibility, conditioning, endurance, speed, and mental fitness. The race is about 3-4 miles with over 15 obstacles that will test all components of fitness.
The more advanced Spartan Race courses are much longer with tougher obstacles for the most advanced athletes in the sport. A competing athlete should be proficient at running, crawling, bodyweight movements, lifting, climbing, and more. The true essence of Spartan training focuses on using the environment, outside training methods, adaptability, and bodyweight applications.
Address the Body and Mind
The Spartan Fit program is designed to address both body and mind in its approach to mental health and fitness. De Sena challenges athletes to move through push ups, pull ups, squats, jumps, bear crawls, etc. More intense exercise and weighted options can include rope climbs, wall climbs, and carrying buckets of rocks.
The book is not just about physical strength or speed, but is designed to encompass all areas of a healthy life including rest, nutrition, stretching, etc. This thirty-day plan includes workouts and a nutrition plan. The book also covers the the seven pillars of Spartan SGX training: endurance, strength, athleticism, recovery, nutrition, mind, and code.
Spartan Training Details
- A comprehensive 30-day workout, diet, and recovery plan
- Full-body workouts
- Workouts that do not need a gym membership or expensive home gym equipment
- A progressive program to build up fitness levels to move into Spartan racing
- Fun yet brutal challenging “Hero Workouts”
Sample Spartan Fit Style Workout Test:
Record time and distance as applicable.
- Dead Hang Test: hang from the bar for as long as possible with palms out
- Burpee Test: do as many burpees as possible in 5 minutes using race form
- Distance Run: run or walk as far as you can in 30 minutes
Sample Spartan Race Workout Schedule:
- Monday – Strength Circuits
- Tuesday – Hill Workout
- Wednesday – Rest
- Thursday – Sprints/Intervals
- Friday – Strength Circuits
- Saturday – Endurance Run
- Sunday – Rest
Sample Hero Workouts
Increase your cold tolerance by going longer at colder temperatures. Submerge your body up to the neck. Measure the temperature and keep time. Warning: Do not push your limits in open water; only use a cold plunge in a controlled setting with a partner. Pay attention to your fingers and toes.
- 1 minute at 50 degrees
- 1 minute at 45 degrees
- 1 minute at 40 degrees
- 1 minute at 35 degrees
Re-create the punishment of Sisyphus with an unknown number of Olympus carries.
- 10 Olympus carries, then unknown rounds of 1 Olympus carry
- 20 burpees, then unknown rounds of 10 burpees
- 20 push ups, then unknown rounds of 10 push ups
- 10 pull ups, then unknown rounds of 5 pull ups
|Spartan Fit At a Glance|
|Pros||Motivating obstacle race basics
30-day easy to follow training and recovery plan
No gym membership required
|Cons||Designed for intermediate or advanced athletes (beginners should use caution)|
|Price||$9.99 (Kindle) – $15.99 (Hard cover)|
Try more training outdoors: