This 12-week cycle of workouts is intended for women who have recently had a baby and have clearance from their doctor to start exercising again. Usually women receive the green light to exercise about four to six weeks after delivery, but your specific time frame may be longer or shorter.
The primary goal of this cycle is to build core strength and stability and recondition your body after the recovery period. To achieve this goal, you will alternate bodyweight exercises, walking or other cardio intervals, and kettlebell workouts. We will also work on improving mobility and flexibility with simple movements like crawling, squatting, and stretching. Finally, the workouts will include a meditation and yoga component to ease stress and aid recovery.
Week 4, Day 1
A. Bodyweight Circuit #1
- Side Plank 20 sec/side
- Push Up (on wall or knees if needed) x 8
- Bodyweight Squats x 15
- Cossack Squat 30 sec.
- Downward Dog 30 sec.
B. Mobility/Flexibility Workout #1
- 20 minute walk
- Inchworm x 1 minute
- Seated Hamstring Stretch x 30 seconds
- Glute Stretch x 30 seconds (Lie on your back and cross your right leg over your left knee. Wrap your fingers around your left thigh and gently pull back toward your chest.)
- Shoulder Rolls x 20 front/back
- Chest Opener x 20 (Hold a PVC pipe or broomstick with a wide grip at hip level. Open your chest and rotate the pipe until it is behind your body, then bring it back to the original position. Keep your elbows straight.)
- Neck Rolls x 20