The 2023 NOBULL CrossFit Games took place from Tuesday, August 1, to Sunday, August 6, in Madison, WI. The Age Group and Adaptive divisions began on Aug. 1 and concluded on Aug. 3. Meanwhile, the Team Division began on Aug. 3 and, three days later, crowned the Team Champions — CrossFit Team Invictus.
CrossFit Invictus has participated in the CrossFit Games Team division every year since 2009, having captured only one title along the way (2014). The current squad — Brittany Weiss, Joshua Al-chamaa, Devyn Kim, and Jorge Fernandez — have brought home the second title in the team’s 15-year history.
With the retirement of Team Captain Rich Froning Jr., five-time CrossFit Games Team champions (2015-16, 2018, 2021-22) CrossFit Mayhem Freedom did not compete this year. At the end of the 2023 contest, the sport saw a new team crowned for the first time since 2014.
2023 Teams Division Leaderboard
Both the Team and Individual divisions featured a two-tier cut to pare down the field. After the workouts on Friday, August 4, only the top 30 Teams and Individual competitors continued on to Saturday. After Saturday’s tests, only the top 20 Teams continued vying for the title. Uniquely, due to the timing of several teams’ withdrawals, only 27 teams completed day three of competition and advanced to the final day.
Withdrawals: CrossFit Invictus Unconquerable, CrossFit CLT The Grit Haus, CrossFit Torian Mayhem, and CrossFit Believe.
- CrossFit Invictus — 1,026 points — 2023 CrossFit Games Team Champions
- CrossFit East Nashville PRVN — 955 points
- CrossFit Oslo Navy Blue — 942 points
- CrossFit Move Fast Lift Heavy 247 — 827 points
- No Shortcuts CrossFit — 813 points
- CrossFit Walleye Athlete — 776 points
- CrossFit Mayhem Independence — 726 points
- CrossFit OBA — 686 points
- CrossFit Omnia —671 points
- CrossFit Prestanda — 667 points
- CrossFit Franco’s Misfits — 558 points
- CrossFit Milford Team Conquer — 508 points
- CrossFit Kilo II — 474 points
- CrossFit Genas — 453 points
- CrossFit Trondheim — 452 points
- CrossFit Oslo Blackout — 447 points
- Plus64 CrossFit 64ARMY Endgame — 441 points
- CrossFit Portti — 441 points
- CrossFit Krypton — 420 points
- Rhino CrossFit Dawgs — 388 points
- Koda CrossFit Redemption — 366 points
- TTT CrossFit Black — 354 points
- Einhorn CrossFit Ascend — 303 points
- CrossFit PSC Invasion — 279 points
- CrossFit Invictus Sea of Green — 267 points
- PFC CrossFit 3076 — 245 points
- CrossFit Oslo NAJS — 244 points
- Cape CrossFit Wolfpack — 134 points
- AB CrossFit – Mayhem — 131 points
- Templo SA CrossFit — 127 points
- CrossFit Rotherham — 127 points
- Q21 CrossFit — 113 points
- CrossFit Fly High Kolesnikov Team — 94 points
- CrossFit Marvel Black — 58 points
- CrossFit Invictus Unconquerable — Withdrawn (292 points)
- CrossFit CLT The Grit Haus — Withdrawn (277 points)
- CrossFit Torian Mayhem — Withdrawn (274 points)
- CrossFit Believe — Withdrawn (0 points)
2023 CrossFit Games Team Division Events
- Day One — 2-2-2-2 Redux
- Day One — Ride Relay
- Day Two — Olympic Weightlifting Total
- Day Two — Cross-Country 5K
- Day Two — Bike-Row-Hold
- Day Three — Run Lift Relay
- Day Three — Lift Run Relay
- Day Three — Muscle-Up Bob
- Day Three — B-Bells and P-Bars
- Day Four — Bob’s a Drag
- Day Four — Handstand Worm
The final day of the 2023 CrossFit Games was a race to determine a new Teams champion. Per the leaderboard entering the fourth day, CrossFit Invictus held a strong, but not insurmountable, lead over both CrossFit Oslo Navy Blue and CrossFit East Nashville PRVN.
Ultimately, however, CrossFit Invictus maintained their lead across both remaining events and carried on to overall victory.
The initial event of the Games final day featured a return of Bob, the oversized sled, as part of a series of movements. With a 25-minute time cap, teams performed four rounds for time: 500-meter run, jerry can carry (two women teammates carry one 150-pound can, two men teammates carry one 200-pound can), log traverse (5-foot, 5-inch height), synchronized Bob pull (858-pounds). The jerry cans were loaded onto the Bob each round, making the sled progressively heavier up to a maximum of 1,208 pounds.
- CrossFit Invictus — 17:47.76
- CrossFit Move Fast Lift Heavy 247 — 18:16.61
- CrossFit Prestanda — 18:18.13
- CrossFit East Nashville PRVN — 18:58.89
- CrossFit Trondheim — 18:39.34
- CrossFit Mayhem Independence — 18:51.60
- No Shortcuts CrossFit — 18:54.44
- CrossFit Oslo Navy Blue — 18:58.89
- CrossFit OBA — 19:00.43
- CrossFit Portti — 19:27.50
In true CrossFit Games style, details of the final event were revealed moments before it began. The surprise is likely kept athletes physically, and mentally, on edge. The event began with each member completing a 192-foot handstand walk. Teams will then, as one unit, carry an “earthworm” (four connected sandbags totaling 450-pounds) to complete four rounds of 10 worm thrusters and a 24-foot worm walking lunge, before concluding with 10 final worm thrusters.
- CrossFit East Nashville PRVN — 9:09.68
- CrossFit Invictus — 9:37.99
- CrossFit Oslo Navy Blue — 9:49.52
- No Shortcuts CrossFit — 10:00.89
- CrossFit Omnia — 10:33.72
- CrossFit Trondheim: 10:34.03
- CorssFit Walleye Athlete — 10:59.18
- CrossFit Move Fast Lift Heavy 247 — 10:59.81
- CrossFit Oslo Blackout — 11.08.19
- CrossFit Franco’s Misfits — Cap +7
- CrossFit Mayhem Independence — Cap +10
After the first round of cuts, only 27 teams remain on the field. At the end of the day’s events, 10 more teams will be eliminated from competition and only 20 will advance to the final day.
With the 2023 CrossFit Games just past the halfway point, teams are likely feeling the pressure to perform more than ever. Day three offers four events and plenty of opportunity to secure valuable points for advancement on the leaderboard.
The third day began with a unique pairing of events that split teams into pairs while complete two events back-to-back. The Run Lift Relay was performed by one male-female pair from each team while the remaining pair completed the Lift Run Relay.
For the first event, one male and female member from each team raced a three-minute clock to perform a 400-meter shuttle run followed by snatches for as many reps as possible.
- CrossFit East Nashville PRVN — 33 reps
- Rhino CrossFit Dawgs — 27 reps
- CrossFit Walleye Athlete — 27 reps
- CrossFit Invictus — 26 reps
- CrossFit OBA — 26 reps
- No Shortcuts CrossFit — 26 reps
- CrossFit Prestanda — 26 reps
- CrossFit Omnia — 25 reps
- CrossFit Oslo Navy Blue — 24 reps
- CrossFit Move Fast Lift Heavy 247 — 24 reps
After one half of each team performed the Run Lift Relay, the remaining partners tackled the Lift Run Relay. Performed for time, each male and female teammate completed 10 snatches followed by a 400-meter run, within a six-minute time cap.
- CrossFit Invictus — 4:07.33
- CrossFit Oslo Navy Blue — 4:12.42
- CrossFit Walleye Athlete — 4:17.25
- CrossFit Franco’s Misfits — 4:17.59
- CrossFit Move Fast Lift Heavy 247 — 4:18.74
- CrossFit Mayhem Independence — 4:20.92
- Plus64 CrossFit 64ARMY Endgame — 4:24.47
- CrossFit Milford Team Conquer — 4:24.54
- CrossFit East Nashville PRVN — 4:29.51
- TTT CrossFit Black — 4:33.80
Day three continued with a serious test of team coordination, communication, and capabilities. Racing for time against an 18-minute time cap, all four members of the team worked in unison to push Bob* across a 126-foot field for time. Teams then performed three rounds of 10 synchronized muscle-ups, 15 clean and jerks using a 340-pound Worm implement, and, a 42-foot push with Bob.
*Note: Bob is an oversized sled weighing 1,188 pounds with built-in pushing stations for each team member.
- CrossFit Invictus — 13:49.46
- CrossFit East Nashville PRVN — 13:55.82
- No Shortcuts CrossFit — 14:30.64
- CrossFit Omnia — 14:35.35
- CrossFit Move Fast Lift Heavy 247 — 14:47.10
- CrossFit Oslo Navy Blue — 15:07.69
- CrossFit Mayhem — 15:26.86
- CrossFit Krypton —15:42.14
- Koda CrossFit Redemption — 15:49.69
- CrossFit Franco’s Misfits — 16:00.82
The fourth event of grueling third day of competition incorporated barbells and parallel bars in a test of upper and lower body strength. Working against a 16-minute time cap, all four athletes performed synchronized axle deadlifts (805-pounds) for 21/15/9 reps. Pairs then broke off — with one pair performing synchronized parallel bar dips (21/21/21), while the other pair completed synchronized sandbag squats (21/15/9), before the pairs switched movements.
This was competitors’ last opportunity to earn points on the leaderboard before the field was cut to 20 teams entering the day four events.
- CrossFit Oslo Navy Blue — 12:32.33
- CrossFit East Nashville PRVN — 13:00.34
- CrossFit OBA — 13:18.53
- CrossFit Move Fast Lift Heavy 247 — 13:27.67
- CrossFit Invictus — 14:13.89
- CrossFit Omnia — 14:17.83
- CrossFit Walleye Athlete — 15:16.62
- TTT CrossFit Black — 15:58.70
- CrossFit Kilo II — Cap
- Einhorn CrossFit Ascend — Cap +3
Teams are stepping into the second day of this four-day contest with their initial standings in place on the leaderboard.
The opening event of the second day was a CrossFit-style spin on a traditional Olympic weightlifting total.
Each athlete had a 20-second lifting window to achieve a one-repetition max (1RM) in the snatch followed by a three-minute rest before having 20 seconds to perform a 1RM clean & jerk. Each team member contributed one snatch and one clean & jerk score to create a total team score.
- CrossFit Walleye Athlete — 2,085 pounds
- CrossFit Oslo Navy Blue — 2,025 pounds
- Templo SA CrossFit — 2,020 pounds
- Crossfit Invictus — 2,020 pounds
- CrossFit OBA — 2,000 pounds
- CrossFit Prestanda — 1,995
- TTT CrossFit Black — 1,990 pounds
- No Shortcuts CrossFit — 1,990 pounds
- Crossfit Move Fast Lift Heavy 247 — 1,990 pounds
- Crossfit Krypton — 1,975 pounds
The second event of day two may be familiar to lifters and weekend warriors, alike — a relatively standard 5K run. The Team format required each member to keep one hand holding a single length of rope to ensure that the team runs as a group.
- Crossfit Trondheim — 19:04.81
- CrossFit Invictus — 19:39.13
- CrossFit Invictus Unconquerable —19:49.41
- CrossFit CLT The Grit Haus — 19:50.73
- CrossFit Torian Mayhem — 19:51.37
- CrossFit Oslo Navy Blue —20:03.12
- Crossfit Move Fast Lift Heavy 247 — 20.08.20
- Crossfit Prestanda — 20:10.79
- CrossFit Mayhem Independence — 20:16.88
- CrossFit Genas — 20.23.99
Day two concluded with a test of endurance, stamina, strength, and stability. Athletes competed for time with a 16-minute time cap. The series of exercises involved one teammate performing a 150-calorie Echo bike while another held a handstand, then one teammate completed a 125-calorie row as a teammate held a seated muscle-up and ring support, and finally a 100-calorie bike paired with a handstand hold.
- CrossFit East Nashville PRVN — 10:56:46
- CrossFit Prestanda — 11:34.67
- CrossFit Oslo Navy Blue — 12:05.97
- No Shortcuts CrossFit — 12:11.92
- CrossFit Invictus —12:19.00
- CrossFit OBA — 12:27.41
- CrossFit Mayhem Independence — 12:28.44
- Rhino CrossFit Dawgs — 12:33.78
- CrossFit Walleye Athlete — 12:41.10
- Koda CrossFit Redemption — 12:42.95
The Team competition kicks off with the first of two events for the opening day. Teams will compete in heats to determine overall placing.
The first event of the contest splits each team into two male/female pairs . Starting every two minutes: each member from one pair will complete 12/9-calorie SkiErg (M/F) and one seated, legless rope climb (M/F). Teams will then perform max-rep synchronized overhead squats.
When two-minute round is up, the first pair stops working and rests as the second pair begins working for the next two-minute round. Each pair will have to work four rounds, for a total of eight rounds (16 minutes) per team, or to a maximum of 175 overhead squats.
- CrossFit Mayhem Independence — Cap +45
- CrossFit East Nashville PRVN — Cap +50
- CrossFit Move Fast Lift Heavy 247 — Cap +50
- CrossFit Franco’s Misfits — Cap +50
- CrossFit Krypton — Cap +52
- CrossFit OBA — Cap +56
- CrossFit Milford Team Conquer — Cap +64
- CrossFit Invictus — Cap +65
- No Shortcuts CrossFit — Cap +68
- CrossFit Oslo Navy Blue — Cap +69
This biking event is very likely much more challenging that it appears. With only two bikes per four-person team, athletes must complete as many laps as possible in one hour.
This event is scheduled to begin at 12:10 p.m. CST.
- CrossFit Trondheim — 18 laps
- CrossFit Portti — 17 laps (Tied for second)
- Q21 CrossFit — 17 laps (Tied for second)
- CrossFit Oba — 17 laps (Tied for second)
- PFC CrossFit 3076 — 17 laps (Tied for second)
- Cape CrossFit Wolfpack — 16 laps (Tied for sixth)
- CrossFit Rotherham — 16 laps (Tied for sixth)
- CrossFit Invictus Sea of Green — 16 laps (Tied for sixth)
- CrossFit PSC Invasion — 16 laps (Tied for sixth)
- Koda CrossFit Redemption — 16 laps (Tied for sixth)
How to Watch the CrossFit Games
Presuming you’re didn’t attend the Games in Madison, WI, you can watch the 2023 CrossFit Games via the CrossFit app, or online at the CrossFit website (Games.CrossFit.com), YouTube, Facebook, or Twitch. For the first time since 2016, CrossFit coverage can also be found on ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPN+.
The Team Competition Has Ended
The Teams once again showcased their skills over four days of high-intensity competition until new champions were crowned.
Featured Image: @jorgeafernandez / Instagram