Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons Kerrygold butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup of red onion chopped
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 cup chopped butternut squash
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed clean
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup kale, shredded
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- Fresh squeezed juice of one lime
- Pink salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently until fragrant, about one minute.
- Stir in quinoa, water, tomatoes, squash, lime, chili powder, and cumin; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer until quinoa is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Add beans and kale and heat for an additional 5 minutes.
More protein and quinoa recipes: