Every Sunday we post the “Sunday Seven” so you can quickly see the seven most popular articles of the week. This week’s most popular posts cover the knees in versus knees out debate, squats versus leg press, strength training advice, competing at CrossFit, diets and fasting, how to scale CrossFit WODs, and a CrossFit holiday wish list!
1. Moderating the Knees In Versus Knees Out Squat Debate (Conrad Stalheim)
Do you push your knees out when squatting or do you let them come in a little at the very bottom? Is either of these a bad idea? Or is one a better idea?
2. New Study Pits Barbell Squats Against Leg Press Machine (Jeff Barnett)
In the ultimate fitness face-off, researchers pitted barbell squats against leg presses to see which would elicit the greatest hormonal response.
3. The 10 Most Important Lessons From the Weight Room (Chet Morjaria)
The weight room is my laboratory. I am always experimenting, mostly on myself, but sometimes on my clients. And the weight room is my classroom. It is a place where I never stop learning.
4. The Cost of Competition: When Bad Programming Puts Athletes at Risk (Katie Chasey)
Between official CrossFit competitions and unofficial fundraisers and throwdowns, there is plenty to pick from for the avid competitor. But at what cost? And is it all worth it?
A sugar pill that would otherwise exercise no physiological effects, when called by another name, has shown to cure man of all his sorrows. Diets work the same way.
6. How to Scale “Diane” and Tame the WODs (Jeff Kuhland)
Here are the four rules for scaling all benchmark CrossFit WODs, plus specifics on how to scale “Diane” to where you are at as an athlete.
7. Patrick McCarty’s CrossFit Holiday Wish List (Patrick McCarty)
If you have a CrossFit fanatic in your life, here are the items they simply cannot do without. I suggest you brighten their day with one of them this holiday.