Lately, I’ve been struggling to find side dishes that are outside of my norm yet still incredibly easy. I tend to get into a routine and end up eating the same exact sides, meal after meal. A trip to the local spice shop was certain to bring inspiration, and I was not disappointed.
Harissa is a versatile spice blend that contains chiles, salt, garlic, lemon, cumin, and coriander.
The Power of Harissa
Among the selection of dried spice blends I found harissa, which is a blend of chiles, salt, garlic, lemon, cumin, and coriander popular in Tunisian and North African cuisine. This combination works equally well on meats as on vegetables. Root vegetable pairings that have a hit of spiciness make the recipe below shine, and the combination of carrot and radish is perfect for a bit of sweet peppery crunch. Topped with a creamy harissa dressing, it’s not only simple and tasty, it’s also colorful and fun!
“Among the selection of dried spice blends I found harissa, which is a blend of chiles, salt, garlic, lemon, cumin, and coriander popular in Tunisian and North African cuisine.”
This salad also works as a warm side dish by lightly sautéing the carrots and radishes in olive oil for a few minutes until they are lightly browned but not soft. Top with the green onions, cilantro, and harissa dressing and serve up delicious.
Carrot and Radish Salad with Harissa Dressing
Prep time: 5 min
Yield: Serves 2
- 4 whole carrots, peeled and sliced into thin discs
- 4 radishes, washed and sliced into thin discs
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (or use Greek style coconut milk yogurt for dairy-free)
- 2 Tablespoons milk (dairy or non-dairy)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon harissa seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 scallions, sliced into discs
- 1 Tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
- Toss carrots and radishes together in a serving dish or on individual plates.
- Mix together all dressing ingredients and drizzle over salad.
- Top with garnishes and enjoy!
You’ll Also Enjoy:
- 2 Grain-Free Breakfast Crepes: 1 Savory, 1 Sweet
- Veggies Aren’t Boring, Your Cooking Is: Simple Skills + 5 Recipes
- Stuffed and Sexy: 3 Sweet Potato Recipes for Post-Workout Meals
- New on Breaking Muscle Today
Photo 1 courtesy of Shutterstock.