Spiced Lentils with Egg Bake
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 cup yellow split peas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons Kerrygold butter
- 4 small shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 4 cups of broth
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro leaves, for garnish
- 4 large pastured eggs
- Rinse the lentils and split peas thoroughly under running water. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat and add the shallots and garlic.
- Cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the garlic and shallots are golden and fragrant.
- Add the lentils and split peas and stir in the garam masala.
- Stir the pot thoroughly to make sure the garam masala and shallots are fully distributed in the lentils.
- Add the broth (or 4 cups of water) and turn the heat to high.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover the pan.
- Cook for 30 to 35 minutes or until the yellow split peas are just tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Fry eggs and top stew with eggs.
- Garnish with cilantro.
Try another clean eating recipe:
40 Days of Clean Eating: Southwest Salad with Chipotle Dressing