The ketogenic diet is on a roll and there’s really no question why it’s gained so much momentum. Dubbed the keto diet for short, this low carb, high-fat diet supplies the body with a plethora of healthy fats which are used as energy for our body instead of carbohydrates. This way of eating provides a nutritionally dense vegetable and protein base with high-fat energy for us to perform our best while maintaining a slim physique. A keto meal in its most simple form combines a protein, paired with a green vegetable (or other low carb veg), and fats. This series of ketonic diet will provide a more inspired approach to these combinations that you can mix and match for a unique ketogenic eating experience.
This vegetarian based curry dish challenges the assumptions that you need to have meat to be keto appropriate. Curries from the northern states in India have a different flavor profile than those of the south. This egg and cauliflower curry bases its ingredient list from the popular state of Kerala, India, located in the southern tip of the Indian peninsula.
As a Scandinavian girl myself, I used a touch of cardamom and mustard seed which are common ingredients between south India and Scandinavia combined with the other traditional Indian spices to create a slightly unique flavor mix. Coconut milk, coconut oil, and the hard-boiled eggs increase the fat content without adding many carbs.
Our vegetable star in this recipe is the cruciferous cauliflower. Cauliflower is one of those vegetables that can be very sulfurous in its scent and has the potential to be off-putting for some. Not so in this case. Even cauliflower haters will love this combination. Much of the curry flavor is absorbed by the cauliflower during cooking leaving just a hint of the true nutty cauliflower flavor behind. Cauliflower also provides fiber, thereby reducing the net carbs for keto eaters.
Kerala Style Egg and Cauliflower Curry
Calories 401, Protein 16g, Total Carbs 12g, Net Carbs 9g, Fat 33g
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 25 min
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 pods cardamom (or use a generous pinch ground cardamom)
- 2 small hot chilies, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- ½ head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 8 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and cut into halves or quarters
- Combine coconut oil, onion, mustard seeds, garlic, cardamom, and chilies in a large sauté pan and cook about 10 minutes until onions begin to soften.
- Add the tomatoes, cauliflower, curry, salt, and pepper and cook until cauliflower begins to soften, about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk and gently add the eggs. Cook another 5 minutes and serve hot.
Download the full keto recipe book.