Day 16 of 40
Prep time: 45 min
Cook time: 20 min
- 1 pound Italian sausage, browned
- 1 acorn squash
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 14.5 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 cup green olives or kalamata, chopped
- ¼ cup olive brine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 anchovy filets, finely chopped (optional)
- ½-1 teaspoon salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice acorn squash in half, discard seeds, and place cut side down on baking sheet. Bake 30 minutes or until flesh is soft and easily scoopable.
- While squash is roasting, brown sausage.
- When squash is soft, scoop it out, place in medium saucepan and puree. I used a stick blender to do this and it worked great.
- Combine all remaining ingredients with the squash and cook until hot and bubbly.
- Serve over your favorite noodles, spaghetti squash or spiralized zucchini.
Try more spaghetti squash based meals: