Being more active in the summer comes naturally, and the abundant sunshine motivates me to get more quality time biking or hiking with the family. The extra activity keeps my mind and body tuned in to my health and, as a result, I focus on nourishing my body with foods that support maintaining a healthy weight to feel my best throughout the summer season.
Staying satiated between meals is a key component to limit snacking and keep total calories in check. To do so, I combine protein with healthy fats and fiber for every meal. This tactic keeps me satisfied without needing additional snacks or feeling the need to eat more during meals. This recipe gets its protein from cannellini beans which are also high in fiber. A combo punch of fiber, fats, and protein provides the perfect nutrition for keeping your digestive system moving. This also helps you feel light on your feet rather than bogged down so you can keep up with the kids. Healthy fats are also critical to providing energy particularly if you have less carbs in your meal. Avocados, sunflower seeds, and olives are prime contenders in the healthy fats category.
Bring a Mediterranean twist to this bean salad with red wine vinegar, oregano, and summery fresh lemon. Using lemon juice and its zest has long been regarded as a health food for vitality and has been used medicinally for centuries. Consuming lemon juice also supports healthy weight loss and maintenance due to the positive effects on the body’s metabolic and detoxification systems.
Mediterranean Cannellini Bean Salad
Calories 447, Protein 17g, Carbs 47g, Fat 22g
Prep time: 15 min
Serves: 2 as a main dish, or 4 as a side dish (nutritional info is based on 2 servings)
- 1 can cannellini (or other white) beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tomato, finely diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 15 basil leaved, julienned or chopped
- 15 kalamata olives, sliced lengthwise
- 2 ounces feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Juice of ½ lemon plus the zest (or use 2 tablespoons lemon juice)
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine beans, tomato, avocado, basil, olives, feta and sunflower seeds.
- In a small dish, combine vinegar, lemon juice and zest, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Pour dressing over salad ingredients and toss until evenly coated.