I’m a complete sucker for locally sourced food. Fresh-caught fish and garden-grown vegetables are among my favorites, especially if that food was grown or caught with my own hands. You can’t get any more local or more fresh than that. If you don’t have a garden, seek out a farmer’s market for the best in-season finds. Source your proteins from local farmers or fisherman, if possible, or purchase it flash frozen for the best taste.
In this recipe, I use fresh caught walleye pike, though any mild white fish will work. Most freshwater fish are low in fat and high in protein making it an ideal and easy choice for athletes looking to maintain lean muscle. Fish contain a powerhouse of B vitamins as well as a number of other nourishing minerals to keep you well, including omega 3 fatty acids. Omega 3’s are present in all fish though there are lower levels of omega 3’s in lean fish, like walleye, than in fatty fish, like salmon. The consumption of omega 3’s can speed your exercise recovery and is a necessary nutrient to maintain proper brain, cardiovascular, eye, and skin health.
Top this delicious and easy to prepare fish with a kale bruschetta. Adding kale to a traditional bruschetta mixture adds calcium and fiber. The lycopene contained in tomatoes is a natural antioxidant that when cooked, is even more effective. Garden green beans cooked to a beautiful tender crisp crunch add dietary fiber and a marginal amount of protein. Green beans are also a great source of folic acid, an important nutrient for pregnant women to have in their diets for a happy healthy baby.
Walleye with Kale Bruschetta and Garlic Green Beans
[Photo credit: Kari Lund]
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 20 min
Yeld: Serves 2
- 2 walleye pike filets (or any other mild white fish – bass, northern pike, perch, cod, trout, etc.)
- 6 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 stems kale, stem removed and leaves chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 6-8 basil leaves, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place fish filets in a lightly greased baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine tomato, kale, olive oil, garlic, vinegar, basil, salt and pepper.
- Spoon tomato mixture over top of fish.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
Garlic Green Beans Ingredients:
- 2 large handfuls of whole green beans, ends trimmed
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- Sprinkle of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Garlic Green Beans Preparation Instructions:
- While fish is baking, heat water in a medium saucepan to boiling.
- Add green beans and boil four minutes until tender crisp.
- Remove beans from water and toss with garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper.
Love seafood? Try this: