Every Sunday we post the “Sunday Seven” so you can quickly see the 7 most popular articles of the week. This week: healing after betrayal in BJJ and life, the importance of cortisol, 1RM controversy, and more!
1. When Trust is Broken: How to Pick Up the Pieces (Valerie Worthington)
Recently a female grappler was allegedly raped by her teammates. This tragedy challenges us to question the role we play in shaping our community and preventing these atrocities.
2. Why and How You Absolutely Must Manage Your Cortisol (Ben Mattingly)
You’ve been training hard and eating right, but still have belly fat. What gives? Could be your cortisol levels and all the stress in your life. Find out why and how you need to manage your cortisol.
3. Wired Kids: How Screen Time Affects Kids’ Brains (Nicole Crawford)
Studies have shown screen time affects a child’s brain, and may have lasting effects. Nevertheless, the average American child still spends 7 hours a day looking at a screen. Why is this the case?
4. Average is Crap: The Painful Truth About Making Gains (David Cross)
I have a small daughter and a growing business, but I still find time to train and to keep getting stronger. How? It’s no mystery. Sacrifice. Many talk big, but few are willing to actually do it.
5. Why You Should Never Hit a 1RM Again (Andrew Read)
My clients rarely, if ever, attempt a 1RM. They get plenty strong without it and stay injury-free. Let me explain why you should most likely never go for a 1RM again.
6. 3 Sandbag Exercises You Should Add to Your Training (Josh Henkin)
Perhaps you already love your training routine, but you want to add in the benefits of sandbag training. Here are the 3 exercises I would add in to any program and why I recommend them.
7. Sitting at Your Desk Is Eating Your Muscles (Doug DuPont)
Even if you exercise before or after work, sitting all day may be catabolizing your muscles. Science took a look and gave recommendations on how often you need to move to prevent this.