StrongFirst for CrossFit
Train to Success, Not Failure
- Create the unfavorable conditions of the specific load to stimulate the organism adapting to them.
- Create conditions that enable the organism to avoid (or at least delay) the unfavorable internal conditions of the specific load that lead to failure or prevent continued work at the required intensity.
Testing AGT for CrossFit
- 95lb thruster
- Pull ups
- 20lb wall ball x 150
The AGT Program for CrossFit
- Maximal power exercises (90-100% intensity contraction, <20sec duration)
- Nearmaximal power exercises (70-90% intensity contraction, 20-50sec duration)
- Submaximal power exercises (50-70% intensity contraction, 1-5min duration)
Monday: Heavy Lifts and Max Power Endurance
- Snatch, jerk from the rack, front squat
- Strict weighted pull up on rings, strict weighted handstand push up, strict weighted pistol
- Kettlebell throw for distance, muscle clean (no knee dip), barbell military press
- Front squat, bench press, deadlift
- Clean grip power snatch, push press from the rack, strict weighted tactical pull up (palms facing forward, thumbless grip, neck or chest must touch the bar)
“…it is necessary to pay attention to the recommended duration of the rest pauses both between sets as well as between series. Under no circumstances should these recommendations be neglected; time economy leads to a loss in training efficiency.”
Tuesday: Nearmax Power Endurance
- Russian kettlebell swing (two-arm): 60sec
- Double kettlebell clean and jerk (if you have the skills): 60sec
- Sprint: 200-400m
- Hill sprint: 150-300m
- Rowing sprint: Max strokes/45sec
- Wingate bicycle ergometer x 30sec
Wednesday: Submax Power Endurance
- Do not exceed 50% of your max reps.
- Do not exceed mild local fatigue in the end of a set (no “burn”).
- Must pass the talk test before next set.
Thursday: Mixed Skills
- Front squat
- Bench press
- Hammer row
Less Burn, More Gains
- CrossFitters: Stuck in a Strength Rut? Implement These Strategies
- Defeat Poor CrossFit Movement With These Work-Rest Strategies
- CrossFitters: 5 Steps to Immediately Improve Your Weightlifting
- New on Breaking Muscle Today
1. Verkhoshansky, YV. Programming and Organization of the Training Process. Moscow: Fizkultura i Sport. 1985. (In Russian)
2. Maximov DV, Selouyanov VN, Tabakov SE. Physical Preparation for Sambo and Judo. Moscow: TVT Division. 2011. (In Russian)
3. Verkhoshansky, YV, Verkhoshanskaya, NY. Special Strength Training: Manual for Coaches. Verkhoshansky.com. 2011.
4. Jones, Arthur. "Flexibility and Metabolic Condition." From Nautilus and Athletic Journal Articles, Accessed March 2016.
5. Hatfield, Frank. "Intensity." Strength Advocate, August 16 2015.
Photos courtesy of Jorge Huerta Photography.