Day 4 of 40
Prep time: 75 min
Cook time: 15 min
- 10 ounces mixed mushrooms (cremini, shitake, oyster), roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1 head garlic
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- ¼ cup white wine
- 2 cups broth of any kind
- ½ cup coconut milk, almond milk or dairy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Slice the top ¼” off of your head of garlic and place on a small piece of aluminum foil (or use a garlic roaster).
- Drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Fold edges of foil up around garlic to make a little packet. Place on baking sheet and bake about 1 hour until cloves are soft. Remove from oven and let cool until cool enough to handle.
- While garlic is cooling, sauté the shallots and mushrooms in a soup pot with olive oil until the shallot is starting to carmelize and mushrooms have given up most of their moisture.
- Add white wine and saute a few minutes.
- Add stock and roasted garlic cloves. Remove the soft cloves by squeezing them out with your fingers or a butter knife.
- Puree ¾ of the soup by either using an immersion blender for a short time or pour part of the soup into a blender. Pour the blended soup back into the soup pot.
- In a small dish, make a slurry of the coconut milk and tapioca starch.
- Add coconut milk/tapioca mixture along with the salt and pepper to the pot and let simmer until slightly thickened.
- Serve warm and garnish with additional sautéed mushrooms if desired.
Notes: This can be used in place of canned cream of mushroom soups for many recipes or as a béchamel for lasagna.
Make your main meal delicious: