Day 3 of 40
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 40 min
- 4-6 chicken breasts, thighs, or drumsticks
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 whole cloves (or ¼ teaspoon ground)
- 5 cardamom pods, use just the seeds inside the pod (or ¼ teaspoon ground)
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 12 ounces plain coconut yogurt or plain Greek yogurt
- Crush cloves and cardamom seeds with a mortar and pestle until fairly finely ground.
- Combine all ingredients except chicken in a large bowl and mix well.
- Lightly score chicken pieces with a knife and place in marinade.
- Marinate for 24 hours.
- When ready to cook, grill on medium-low heat for about 40 minutes turning pieces every 10 minutes until chicken reaches 165 degrees.
- To bake instead, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place chicken pieces on a wire rack inside a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Broil for an additional 5 minutes and check to be sure chicken is 165 degrees.
Another clean eating chicken dinner: