Day 19 of 40
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 60 min
- 1½ – 2 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced into ½” rounds
- 1 medium onion, sliced into ½” rounds
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into large chunks
- 1 head garlic, papery skin removed and top end chopped off
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil for roasting
- 6 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
For the pesto:
- 1 cup carrot greens (or kale), chopped
- ½ cup basil, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place bell pepper, carrots, onion, and head of garlic on baking sheet and sprinkle with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Roast veggies for 30-40 minutes until tender and lightly browned in spots. Watch carefully so they don’t burn.
- When veggies are tender, place in a large stockpot with remaining ingredients and pureé with a stick (immersion) blender. Alternately, you can use a blender to pureé ingredients and then transfer to the pot.
- Cook together for another 15-20 minutes until nice and bubbly.
- While soup is cooking, make the pesto. Toss all pesto ingredients into a food processor and pureé.
- Serve piping hot with pesto on top. Can also place a dollop of plain Greek yogurt (or plain coconut milk yogurt) on top.
Notes: Leftovers can be refrigerated or frozen.
Another satisfying clean eating recipe: