Avocados contain a concentrated source of energy, fiber, nutrients, and critical electrolytes making the “alligator pear” an athlete’s superfood. Combining avocado with a lean protein creates a perfect low carb mini meal that is easy to prep for lunch or as an energy boosting snack. This meal is especially great for individuals who thrive and perform better with higher fat levels in their diet.
The monounsaturated fats found in avocados, nuts, and olives are considered to be healthy fats and offer health protective benefits especially for your heart. These types of fats have been shown to lower bad cholesterol, promote lean muscle growth, and keep you satiated longer. The consumption of fats is necessary in our diets as they allow the body to absorb vitamins and nutrients more efficiently. The carotenoids found in avocados act as antioxidants that reduce systemic inflammation caused by exercise stress. Anti-inflammatory foods are essential for faster athletic recovery.
Greek stuffed avocados combine the healthy fats from avocado and olives along with protein and vinegar. Vinegar is known to have to anti-inflammatory properties as well as help with digestion. This recipe is easily adaptable for a variety of flavor options. You can make it Mexican themed by switching the feta for a crumbled queso fresco and swap the olives for black beans.
Greek Stuffed Avocados
Calories 395, Protein 20g, Carbs 16g, Fat 29g [Photo credit: Kari Lund]
Prep time: 10 min
- 2 avocados
- 1 chicken breast, cooked and finely diced
- 1 tomato, seeded and finely diced (or ⅓ cup diced sundried tomatoes)
- 2 tablespoons feta cheese, crumbled
- 10 kalamata olives, diced
- 1-2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cilantro or parsley
- Sprinkle of salt and pepper to taste
- Cut avocados in half and remove peel and seed.
- Scoop out around seed indent to make a larger “bowl” in each half of the avocado.
- Place scooped out avocado in a mixing bowl and mash.
- Add all other ingredients to the mashed avocado and stir to combine.
- Spoon filling into the centers of the avocado and serve cold.
Note: Filling can be made ahead and kept in fridge until ready to serve. This is a great way to use leftover chicken as well.
More avocado goodness: