40 Days of Clean Eating: Chicken Shepherd's Pie
Day 24 of 40
Prep time: 45 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 1 pound cooked chicken or turkey, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup peas
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons rice flour (or you can use wheat flour)
- ½-1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon sage
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
Mashed Potato Topping:
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup coconut milk or chicken broth
- 1 egg
- Paprika and chives for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a saucepan or cast iron skillet, sauté the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic with the olive oil until the veggies start to get tender.
- Add the chicken and remaining ingredients and stir together.
- Simmer until gravy thickens.
- While your gravy is simmering, boil the potatoes in enough water to cover them completely until they are soft.
- Mash with a potato masher or use a hand mixer on low speed.
- Add the olive oil, salt, pepper, coconut milk (or broth) and mix together.
- Add egg and combine. Set mashed potatoes aside.
- Pour gravy into a baking dish leaving at least 1 inch clearance from the top of the dish.
- Spread a layer of mashed potatoes about ½ inch thick over top of the veggie gravy.
- Sprinkle with fresh chives and paprika.
- Bake 30 minutes. Serve hot from the oven.
This dish tends to get a bit bubbly in the oven so I'd recommend placing a baking sheet underneath to catch any overflow.
Clean eating soup sure to satisfy: