Summer has arrived and the sun beckons us outdoors, often leaving meals as a secondary thought while enjoying patio time or outdoor training sessions. Long training days require easy meals to power through workouts and support your performance.
Eggs are an excellent and inexpensive source of high-quality lean protein. They contain an essential combination of proteins, fats, and antioxidants in a small, nutrient-dense package. The complete proteins in eggs stimulate muscle growth and help rebuild damaged muscles. The cholesterol found in the egg yolk aids in the metabolism of carbs so energy is released more effectively. Eggs also contain lecithin, which allow fats to assimilate more completely into fuel for your body. When shopping, choose pasture-raised eggs as they contain higher levels of all nutrients, especially choline and the anti-inflammatory omega-3 fatty acids due to the varied diet of pastured hens.
This recipe combines my love of eggs with my love of Italian flavors. This easy egg dish is one that my kids also love, and it’s fancy enough to serve for guests. The eggs are made to be dairy-free, but they are also delicious with the addition of parmesan cheese.
Italian Baked Eggs
[Photo courtesy of Kari Lund]
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yield: Serves 1
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoon cooked Italian sausage
- 1 Tablespoon chopped spinach
- 1 Tablespoon diced tomato
- 2 Tablespoons prepared pizza sauce (try this homemade version)
- 1 Tablespoon canned coconut milk
- Sprinkle of salt and pepper
- Fresh chopped chives, basil or red pepper flakes as garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly grease a ramekin with olive oil and place ramekin on a baking sheet.
- Add sausage, tomato, and spinach into ramekin.
- Combine pizza sauce and coconut milk and pour over other ingredients.
- Crack egg over top and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for about 13-15 minutes until egg whites are set but yolk should still be runny (if you prefer a firm egg yolk, bake a little longer until fully set).
- Sprinkle fresh chives, chopped basil, or red pepper flakes on top as garnish if desired and serve immediately.
Try another go-to egg dish: