Day 11 of 40
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 20 min
Yield: about 20 meatballs
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons gochujang pepper paste (or use Sriracha sauce)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon rice flour (optional)
- Greens of four scallions, chopped (save white part for sauce)
- ½ cup tamari soy sauce or coconut aminos (low sodium is preferred)
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 4 scallions, white part only, chopped
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon gochujang pepper paste (or use Sriracha)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger (from about a 2″ piece)
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tablespoon starch of any kind (potato starch, corn starch, tapioca starch)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, add ground beef with egg, rice flour, garlic, onion greens, and gochujang.
- Mix together using your hands until all is thoroughly combined.
- Shape into 1-1.5″ balls and place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes and remove from oven. Top with sauce and serve immediately or place in a crockpot along with the sauce to keep warm while serving.
- While meatballs are baking, combine all sauce ingredients in a small saucepot.
- Heat sauce ingredients while whisking until thickened to a BBQ sauce consistency.
- Pour over meatballs and serve hot.
You can also make up the meatballs in advance and freeze them. Reheat before serving and then top with fresh made sauce.
Clean eating at its best: