Day 22 of 40 Days
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 45 min
- 2 pounds venison (roast or steaks) cut into thin strips against the grain
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup shallots or red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 pound cremini or shitake mushrooms, sliced or diced
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cognac or red wine
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon spicy dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika
- 1 tablespoons flour (gluten free or all-purpose) mixed in a slurry with 2 tablespoons water to thicken if desired
- Egg noodles or other noodles of your choice or prepared mashed potatoes
- Season meat with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Heat two tablespoons of butter on medium high in a large cast iron skillet and when it is hot, brown meat on each side until barely pink.
- Transfer meat to a dish and set aside. Do not drain juices.
- In the same skillet, add the rest of the butter and sauté shallots and garlic just until translucent.
- Add mushrooms with a sprinkle of salt and pepper and sauté until mushrooms start to brown and liquid evaporates.
- Add broth, cognac, and Worchestershire. Simmer until liquid coats mushrooms, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream and mustard.
- Add reserved browned meat and any accumulated juices.
- Stir in dill and paprika.
- If you desire a thicker sauce, stir in a slurry of flour mixed with water until desired thickness.
- Serve hot as a thick stew, over egg noodles, or over mashed potatoes.
Make a fabulous and clean side to your stroganoff: