Get your dose of greens, protein, and beneficial fungi in one awesome portobello benedict. Portobello mushrooms are an easy substitute for the traditional benedict’s English muffin and provide many more nutrients to support athletic performance.
Mushrooms don’t typically come to mind when I think of powerhouse, energy-boosting foods, but perhaps they should. Mushrooms have long been known to enhance the immune system and pack more potassium than a banana. Potassium is key for maintaining fluid balance in the body and ensures that muscles and nerves are functioning at optimal levels. Mushrooms are also high in selenium, an antioxidant that can help reduce post-workout fatigue.
These goliaths of the mushroom world have a delicious steak-like texture and all the amazing earthy taste that a mushroom should. Enjoy!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Yield: Serves 1
- 1 portobello mushroom cap
- 1 egg
- 2 slices Canadian bacon
- Handful of fresh spinach leaves
- Chives and fresh ground pepper for garnish
- Hollandaise sauce (optional)
For the Hollandaise:
- 2 egg yolks
- ¼ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 Tablespoons melted butter
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a muffin tin, add 1 tablespoon water and egg. Bake 8-10 minutes. Lift egg out with a slotted spoon and dry gently on a clean kitchen towel.
- While egg is baking, heat a sauté pan with olive oil on medium heat.
- Add portobello mushroom cap and Canadian bacon. Sauté until bacon is lightly browned and mushroom is slightly soft.
- To assemble, place spinach on plate, then mushroom cap, Canadian bacon, egg, and top with hollandaise, chives, and pepper.
For the Hollandaise:
- Combine all hollandaise ingredients in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until thickened, whisking constantly, for about 5 minutes.
More Mouthwatering Breakfast Inspiration:
- A No-Fuss, Versatile Frittata Recipe
- The Great Egg Debate: Why You Should Eat Eggs, Why You Shouldn’t Not Eat Eggs
- Almost Magic: Why You Need to Eat More Mushrooms
- New on Breaking Muscle Right Now
Photo courtesy of Kari Lund.